Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2007, 11:16 AM
d2kx Offline

Fedora 7 KDE Package Selection

Hi everyone,

I always thought that Fedora has a bad KDE integration and that this great distribution should be used with Gnome. But I am a KDE guy, I like Gnome, but I think KDE is much better and it will hype again when KDE4 comes out. I recently tried out the Fedora 7 LiveCD with KDE and was amazed how polished it was. Well, not as polished as some other distributions with KDE, but it was ok. GTK2 programs and configuration tools looked also ok, that is the most configuration tools of Fedora.

But I don't like the way you can install a Fedora 7 KDE spin. I prefer installing Fedora 7 from DVD and I want to install the software development packages that you can choose when installing Fedora 7 from DVD (Office and Productivity, Software Development, another option). Then it installs Gnome. When you say that you'll want to configure the package selection you can change from Gnome to KDE as a Desktop Environment, but it still installs Totem and some more Gnome programs. Then you can change from Gnome- to KDE-Development-Tools, but the rest (for example the Audio and Video selection) still installs Totem etc. which I don't want.

The best thing would be if you could chose whether you really want KDE, Gnome (or XFCE?) in the DVD installer. That would be great because many people think the same way like I do and KDE will be much more popular at the end of 2007 again.

I don't like installing from the LiveCD, because it is english only (is there one package that installs all language pack needed? - I need German) and it don't installs any development tools like gcc etc., and yes, I know that you could download them later.

Did I miss something that could help me?

- d2kx
Old 15th July 2007, 12:12 PM
RobertoVanto Offline

Quote:
(is there one package that installs all language pack needed? - I need German)
% yum install kde-i18n-German

Tags
fedora, kde, package, selection