Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2007, 03:49 PM
ixlam Offline

"Show Desktop" shortcut/icon?

Does anyone know how to make a "Show Desktop" icon/shorcut that I could have sitting on the desktop itself or in AWN toolbar?
Old 15th July 2007, 04:14 PM
Loki1950 Offline

That little button on the bottom panel left does it.Tool tip "Click here to hide all windows and show the desktop"

Enjoy the Choice
Old 15th July 2007, 04:19 PM
ixlam Offline

yes I know about the apllet in the top bar .. what Im after is an Icon on the desktop itself tha i can put anywhere including in the AWN toolbar.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:51 PM
adrianelliott Offline

Try this:-

Open package manager and search for "wmctrl". Its a tool which lets you control x windows from the command line. It is actually suprisingly useful. Install it.

Next you want to use your favorite text editor to create this script:-

#!/bin/sh
if wmctrl -m | grep -q '"showing the desktop" mode: ON'; then
exec wmctrl -k off
else
exec wmctrl -k on
fi

Save it to your home directory as showdesk.sh. Open a terminal up and make sure you are in the same directory as showdesk.sh. Use su to get root access and chmod 755 to make it executable. You should now be able to execute the script using "./showdesk.sh". If it works then you can just make a shortcut to the script and fire it when you want to show desktop.

To give credit where it is due, I 'stole' the script from this page which I found when googling for wmctrl: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/n...65e8abfdcf22cb

Good luck, let us know how you get on. I have to confess, I havn't actually tried this script myself as I am on my windowze laptop as I write this. However it looks like a good shot to me - and I am sure that wmctrl is availiable in the FC repositories.

Tags
shortcut or icon, show desktop