Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2007, 01:36 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

What distro are you trying right now?

So I'm trying Gentoo, just for giggles, and I wanted to share my experiences. I then realized that it'd be even better to start a thread where everyone can share their experiences in distro land . Anyway, post what distro(s) you're trying right now, why you're trying them, and what you think of them. Feel free to make comparisons to other distros, but try not to do any mean-spirited bashing. I'd like to keep this light and happy. And who knows, maybe we can help each other out in our adventures . So yes, I deem no particular format for posts, but I choose the following for my own:

Distro: Gentoo - http://www.gentoo.org/
Reason for trying: I was bored and it sounded like fun.
Other distros tried recently: DreamLinux, KateOS, SAM Linux, Debian, and others
Impressions so far: I really like the manual install (I'm still in the install process at this point). It's not difficult if you follow a guide like the one on the official site, but it's just very fun and unique. Downloading and unpacking "stages" and "snapshots." Anyway, I'll post again when I'm actually past installation.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:49 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Well, Ironically I am downloading CentOS right now. Had some problems with my backup server today, it was accidentally running debian lenny. What happened was I had a pre-release iso of etch and when I installed and updated this install after etch's release it gave me the lenny repos. Well, I lived with it but some things were broken so today I redid my network and I am going to throw CentOS on it. I have never played with CentOS or RHEL before and figured why not? Other distros I am running: F7 and Etch dual booted on the big rig, F7 on the 2 work computers, CEUbuntu on my youngest boys and my second oldest boys computers (the oldest is married and has moved out but also running F7, this one needs to go too ), XP and various, fast changing other distros for my next oldest boy (this one is the geek) and Vista on my wife's laptop. Distros I have tried? lol, I have a file called "distro collection" which generally holds around 100GB worth of downloaded iso's. When they get more than a year old I start trashing them. I run these in VMWare for the most part and can pull any one up in seconds. This keeps me from burning excessive discs. So which distros? Heck, be easier to count the distros I havent tried...
Old 17th July 2007, 01:52 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Pulling Solaris down tonight.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:58 AM
pparks1 Offline

I had moved over to Ubuntu for awhile, but am now back on F7 and have been extremely happy. It's working great, and everything that I have wanted to get working is working.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 17th July 2007, 02:06 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hey pparks! Good to see you again.
Old 17th July 2007, 02:12 AM
pparks1 Offline

It's good to be back. I never really left...but since I wasn't actively using Fedora I wasn't posting all that much.

While I have no complaints with Ubuntu, since my boxes at work are CentOS and RHEL based, Fedora just seems more like home to me. Once you get used to something, it's hard to break those habits.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 17th July 2007, 02:15 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks1
It's good to be back. I never really left...but since I wasn't actively using Fedora I wasn't posting all that much.

While I have no complaints with Ubuntu, since my boxes at work are CentOS and RHEL based, Fedora just seems more like home to me. Once you get used to something, it's hard to break those habits.
I am good enough and have used enough distros by now that I can say Fedora is just something special. I dont know exactly what, I can comfortably use other distros, but nothing seems to come close. Guess I am just a Fedora guy...
Old 17th July 2007, 02:39 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
KateOS was the last one, since it was the only one that would install on that salvage/garbage machine that went down to NC with my son. Not the best or easiest I've ever used, but it served the purpose.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 17th July 2007, 02:43 AM
kathera Offline

I have tried debian, ubuntu, and kubuntu, and now I am downloading fedora 7 to try, so what is fedora like?
Old 17th July 2007, 02:55 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathera
I have tried debian, ubuntu, and kubuntu, and now I am downloading fedora 7 to try, so what is fedora like?
Good question and quite honestly, you will either love it or hate it. It is just a little different, especially from the deb/ubuntu side. I have always preferred the feel of the RPM distros myself and Fedora is the granddaddy of these (considering it's RH lineage). I will give you the advice that you shouldnt judge it too hastily, give it a legitimate chance. Get it to work right, if you run into any snags dont give up. It isnt a hard distro but it is one that will make you think. Hope you enjoy it and if you dont, well, dont feel too bad. It isnt for everyone.
Old 17th July 2007, 03:03 AM
bob Online

Fedora is visually smooth and stimulating. It can be the best or worst distro you will ever use, depending on how much you are willing to learn. Being FOSS, there are some workarounds for things like .mp3's. All I can suggest is that you realize the answers are available for your questions and many members are ready to listen and help you. For starters, this timeless post should be your starting point: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=119751

Old 17th July 2007, 03:11 AM
ryptyde Offline

DSL 3.4 (DamnSmallLinux), DSL has always been a favorite of mine. It is lightweight under 50MB, incredibly fast, portable, expandable and will run on or from just about anything.

I have been trying/using it since version 0.7.3, and there's a reason it has been on the "top10" list at Distrowatch for quite some time its (DGL) "DamnGoodLinux" just like Fedora.
Old 17th July 2007, 03:20 AM
rjstaaf Offline

I currently run Fedora on my main desktop machine, had FC6 on it but did a fresh install of F7 this past weekend. I also have a dedicated firewall on my home network running IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org). I have a Cobalt Qube2 running Debian Etch and I use that machine as a mail and log server. I also have a VALinux 2240 server that I bought new in 2000 that runs RedHat Enterprise Linux that I use as a web server.

I tinker quite a bit and recently have played around with probably half a dozen different distros from Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe2, Linux Mint 3.0, PCLinuxOS 2007, DreamLinux 2.2, CentOS 5, I can't really pin down a specific reason for trying any of these other distros in particular, I guess it is mainly curiosity. I have been running RedHat/Fedora for many years and I don't see myself changing that any time soon.

Embarrassing myself, one post at a time!
http://community.webshots.com/user/rjstaaf

Last edited by rjstaaf; 17th July 2007 at 03:23 AM.
Old 17th July 2007, 03:23 AM
kathera Offline

well I will give it a try, is it possible to do a dual boot of fedora and slackware? I have been wanting to try both for a while.
Old 17th July 2007, 03:43 AM
bob Online

It sure is, but you'll have to do a bit of googling since I believe slack still uses LILO as a bootloader, while Fedora and most others are now using Grub. Fedora will install as LVM unless you choose ext3 or something else, and LILO doesn't work well with LVM, if at all, so you might want to look into how you'll set up your bootloader.