Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2007, 04:39 PM
BHULLARZ Offline

Exclamation VideoLan-Client Installation Problem !

Hi ! I am trying to install Video lan Client on Fedora 5. I have downloaded the "videolan-client-0.8.5-2.fc5.i386.rpm" from following url :
Code:
http://bordeaux.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1535
but it is giving the following error :
Code:
warning: videolan-client-0.8.5-2.fc5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
error: Failed dependencies:
        libopendaap.so.0 is needed by videolan-client-0.8.5-2.fc5.i386
I tried to install libopendaap.so.0 using yum -y install command but it didin't work.
Any solutions for this problem.??
Old 17th July 2007, 05:21 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

As root:
Code:
yum provides libopendaap.so.0
will tell you what package you need to install to get that library file.
Old 17th July 2007, 07:09 PM
BHULLARZ Offline

his command shows the following output:
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# yum provides libopendaap.so.0
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
livna                                                                [1/4]
livna                     100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
core                                                                 [2/4]
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                                                              [3/4]
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
extras                                                               [4/4]
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Importing additional filelist information
No Matches found
Nothing Happened
Old 17th July 2007, 07:25 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Ah, yes...since you got vlc manually from freshrpms, you have to manually get the prerequisite from there, too. The package happens to be libopendaap. Or, you could set-up yum with the freshrpms.repo so that yum looks there automatically - see the freshrpms website for their config package. Note that freshrpms may conflict with other repos - notably livna - so be careful about which repos you leave enabled for auto-updates.

P.S. You must install libopendaap first. There may be additional dependencies, which rpm will gladly inform you about when you attempt to install (as you've seen).

Last edited by Hlingler; 17th July 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 17th July 2007, 07:33 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I also just noticed that you are using FC5. Are you aware that this release is now past end-of-life, therefore no longer actively maintained, and you may not be able to get further updates? Perhapss you should consider upgrading to F7, as painful as that may sound (or be).
Old 17th July 2007, 08:19 PM
BHULLARZ Offline

I got the file and now installed VLC player
Old 17th July 2007, 08:21 PM
BHULLARZ Offline

I am not able to play .wmv file and .avi files with VLC player. It just closes down. Which player can play these files properly.??
Old 17th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Please go to this website, bookmark it, and follow the instructions to install the extra codecs that you need:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...es.html#Codecs
There is also a section on VLC on that page if you need further info, as well as many other helpful instructions/advice.

Good Luck,
V
Old 18th July 2007, 03:09 PM
BHULLARZ Offline

Bro ! I am already follwing that age which you mentioned . I hve already installed codecs and players mentioned there.But that is not working. My whole music collection is in .wma format and video collection is usually in .avi, .wmv formats. Plz help me or is there any other solution if i can convert them to mp3,tell me how ....
thanx
Old 18th July 2007, 10:12 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Stanton Finley's website provides instructions for installing several audio/video players. If you have followed his guides and installed them all (properly), and all of the codecs, then I'm not sure why .wma and .avi files won't play - I also got my VLC from freshrpms, and both VLC and Xine play .wma, .wmv, and .avi files just fine.

Note that you have installed VLC (and dependency(ies)) from freshrpms. The freshrpms version of VLC may not be compatible with your other Fedora Core and/or livna packages. You can remove VCL (and libopendaap), and re-install it from livna (note that there may be different dependencies), which should be fairly easy since you have yum set-up to look at the livna repo by default - yum will automatically determine and install the needed dependencies, too.

What exactly do you mean: "But that is not working."??? All of these audio/video players have settings/configuration options. Have you checked them? Re-checked them?? If you double-click on an .avi or .wma file, what happens? It should open automatically in VLC, Xine, or some other audio/video player. VCL, Xine, and the other players should automatically associate themselves when installed with the mime-types that they can play. If the file doesn't open automatically, then you need to setup your mime-type config to tell your system what to do when you try to open an .avi or .wma file. Another option is to start vlc or xine from the command-line so that you'll see any error messages (these error messages may also be in your ~/.xsession-errors file, if you have it), then try to open/play a .wma or .avi. Error messages can help to determine what the problem is.

If all else fails, there probably is a program available to convert your files to another format, but I don't know for sure offhand....

Last edited by Hlingler; 18th July 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 19th July 2007, 06:01 AM
BHULLARZ Offline

i hve removed VLc from my pc and installed WMA plugins for XMMS player and also installed mpler with codecs.Now I can play both .wm and .avi files.

Thanks Hlingler for being kind to me,

Tags
installation, problem, videolanclient