Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2007, 12:09 AM
thickbrain Offline

Screen res. problem at boot time - F6

I posted the following on the "Intallation Help" forum last weekend but not one reply. I hope someone can help me here.
-----------------------------
After installing Fedora 6 my screen resolution was 1920x1200 which is not supported by my monitor.

I was still able to see the login screen and log into my account. I then changed the screen resolution and refreshing rate and everything was fine until I rebooted.

The problem is that I go back to the 1920x1200 res. at the login screen and when I log in the screen res. is changed to my user setings with the adverse effect that the OS hangs for a while and either send me back to the login screen or simply force me to restart the computer. Once in a while, the OS will do the resolution switch properly though but most offen it won't.

Which file do I have to modifyand what line do I have to add or tweek so the boot time screen res. matches the user res. so the OS doesn't hang.

My video card is a TNT 32.
Old 18th July 2007, 01:36 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

This isn't some magically different subforum where all the users hang out. If your thread didn't get a response in a different subforum, why do you think it will get responses here? It is against the rules to post the same thread in multiple sections, and it's stupid. People are less likely to help you if they see you are impatient and not willing to follow the rules.

As for your problem, I'm sure some forum searches for things like "changing screen resolution" or "won't save resolution setting" would find you some good results. This is a common problem with equally common solutions. If you somehow can't find your solution here, Google is your friend. If after a week of searching (which I trust you have been doing this past week while you waited for a reply) yields you no answer, then update your original thread with a bump asking once more for help.

EDIT: Wait a second, that was only two days ago?! Man, we all have lives, and you have to give people time to respond; especially on the weekends. We're willing to help, but please follow the rules and be patient. And don't forget to search .

Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 18th July 2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 18th July 2007, 02:16 AM
thickbrain Offline

Well, I did a forum search here first and checked the FAQ. I didn't find anything like my problem I'm not that thick

As for Googling, I did that too and got over 230 some thousand hits on similar search terms as the one you mentionned.

So after few hours of digging I gave up and did a post here. I thought you guys didn't have a life That you're all hooked to an IV bag full of bits and bytes when not in front of a computer screen.

Joke aside, I did think it was a common problem and I was surprised no one had made any replies of any kind yet. Well I guess I can be a tad impatient sometimes.

While I have your attention. I'm not familliar with any Linux-based OS. The reason I installed Fedora is I've been told it's a good platform for development and is easy to install and use.

I'm planning to develop firmware and drivers.

What's your take on that? What about Ubunto, Demian, Red Hat and others?

Thanks for your tiem
Old 18th July 2007, 02:25 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickbrain
Well, I did a forum search here first and checked the FAQ. I didn't find anything like my problem I'm not that thick

As for Googling, I did that too and got over 230 some thousand hits on similar search terms as the one you mentionned.

So after few hours of digging I gave up and did a post here. I thought you guys didn't have a life That you're all hooked to an IV bag full of bits and bytes when not in front of a computer screen.

Joke aside, I did think it was a common problem and I was surprised no one had made any replies of any kind yet. Well I guess I can be a tad impatient sometimes.

While I have your attention. I'm not familliar with any Linux-based OS. The reason I installed Fedora is I've been told it's a good platform for development and is easy to install and use.

I'm planning to develop firmware and drivers.

What's your take on that? What about Ubunto, Demian, Red Hat and others?

Thanks for your tiem
I'm not in the development scene, so I can't specifically comment on that, but I know Fedora works great for me . I am running Debian (that's with a b) on my iMac 'cause Fedora didn't want to work, but Fedora's my choice otherwise. Debian would be more stable and they provide updates a lot longer, but Fedora is fine if you don't mind upgrading every couple releases and fixing broken updates (something I've only had to deal with once).

Red Hat is Fedora. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the pay-for, business version (with CentOS being the freely useable version of that) and Fedora is the open-source, community-driven version (with many other distros using it as a base). Ubuntu is based on Debian but with possibly more up-to-date packages. It's s'posed to be more user friendly and easier to get working for people new to Linux; you might want to check it out and see if it fits your needs.

I'm glad that Fedora, the first Linux distro I tried, worked for me, but that's not the case for everyone. Go out, try other distros, use the one that works, and have fun. It's all Linux, but there are differences here and there .

EDIT: And I don't mean to scare you off. Fedora is great if you stick with it. Be patient and keep reading. I'll give you some hints on things to look for: xorg.conf and system-config-display.

Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 18th July 2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:30 AM
thickbrain Offline

Thank for giving me your thought on Linux flavours.

BTW, my res. problem was solve from the post in the other forum.

Well, I can see where cross-posting is not a good idea. I won't do it again.

Here is the link to the tread for those who would like to see the "simply" solution to a extremly mysterious (for a newbie) problem: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=160952

Tags
boot, problem, res, screen, time