I've been running Linux (Fedora) for 5 months and are so far quite happy with leaving Windows. FC6 ran quite smoothly and except for the learning curve I've quite enjoyed it.
On release I therefore did a clean F7 installation which is even cooler, except for one thing:
Seemingly every other boot
the system freezes up, and I have to do a hard reset.
This is somewhat depressing and I haven't found a solution, which could be because I'm not quite sure where to look...
* I've read that the new Nvidia driver from livna can result in system freezes, so I installed the kmod-nvidia-96xx instead, but the problem remains.
* I installed the nvidia driver from freshprms instead but couldn't get opengl to work (just selecting that in the nvidia display settings reset the x server, so I reinstalled the livna driver
* I ran memtest86 but "unfortunately" didn't get any errors
* I've had a look at the logs in /var/log but can't find anything, but then again, what would I as a semi-n00b look for?
* I've read zillions of posts but can't seem to find anything else related
What I have noticed is that when I run Amarok or MPlayer the system seems to freeze more quickly (it could even be that it's only when running them but I'm not sure...), but upon reboot everything runs fine (including mplayer and amarok). Next reboot the problem is back. Very frustating.
So, what can I do? Any additional information from me you gurus could use that could help me solve this problem?