Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd July 2007, 05:08 PM
banalakillen Offline

F7 - Freezes randomly (or not)

I've been running Linux (Fedora) for 5 months and are so far quite happy with leaving Windows. FC6 ran quite smoothly and except for the learning curve I've quite enjoyed it.

On release I therefore did a clean F7 installation which is even cooler, except for one thing:
Seemingly every other boot the system freezes up, and I have to do a hard reset.

This is somewhat depressing and I haven't found a solution, which could be because I'm not quite sure where to look...

* I've read that the new Nvidia driver from livna can result in system freezes, so I installed the kmod-nvidia-96xx instead, but the problem remains.
* I installed the nvidia driver from freshprms instead but couldn't get opengl to work (just selecting that in the nvidia display settings reset the x server, so I reinstalled the livna driver
* I ran memtest86 but "unfortunately" didn't get any errors
* I've had a look at the logs in /var/log but can't find anything, but then again, what would I as a semi-n00b look for?
* I've read zillions of posts but can't seem to find anything else related

What I have noticed is that when I run Amarok or MPlayer the system seems to freeze more quickly (it could even be that it's only when running them but I'm not sure...), but upon reboot everything runs fine (including mplayer and amarok). Next reboot the problem is back. Very frustating.

So, what can I do? Any additional information from me you gurus could use that could help me solve this problem?
Old 29th July 2007, 01:17 PM
VictorienSardou Offline

what is the output of:
# cat /proc/interrupts
Old 1st August 2007, 03:56 PM
banalakillen Offline

Sorry about late reply (I've been hiking the Icelandic mountains for some days )

The output is:
CPU0
0: 181 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 362 IO-APIC-edge i8042
6: 6 IO-APIC-edge floppy
7: 1 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
14: 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
15: 14079 IO-APIC-edge libata
16: 195 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1, sata_nv
17: 30380 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
18: 57135 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb3, NVidia CK8S
19: 28337 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_nv
20: 127676 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth0, nvidia
21: 349 IO-APIC-fasteoi firewire_ohci
NMI: 0
LOC: 626729
ERR: 1
MIS: 0
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:31 PM
landoncz Offline

If this only happens when you have a desktop (X running), check your Xorg log as well. It sounds like this could probably be acpi related, so make sure you have the latest stable BIOS for your machine and play around with booting without acpi or turning it off just for X as in this thread.
100 Gig 7200 RPM

Code:
# rm -rf /dev/brain
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:34 PM
kosh Offline

Try nvidia driver from nvidia!
Old 9th August 2007, 08:42 AM
banalakillen Offline

Unhappy

landoncz: thank you for the suggestions. I turned acpi off in X as in the link you posted, but no difference. I also tried to boot without it, which didn't work (all sorts of error messages regarding irq etc). However, the freeze only occurs when running X/Gnome AND also it's fine running X through VNC, I have never experienced any problems doing that...

I am at a loss...

kosh: I was under the impression that the livna driver is the nvidia driver packaged for fedora. Have I misunderstood something/is there a difference between them?

Tags
freezes, randomly