Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th September 2007, 11:16 PM
matth45 Offline

Thanks for the pointer Walter. After adding irqfixup, everything (including the touchscreen using the egalax driver) seems to be working for me. By the way, guyc, what other problems do you have with irqfixup?

Walter, I'm interested to hear that you have the system running stably with a 2.6.20 kernel, without using noapic. Can you confirm that it's really stable with this kernel rather than that it merely boots? For example, try to change the time/date and sync to the hardware clock, run bluetooth, or the irqbalance service on boot? Those were all things that would occasionally crash my system without the noapic parameter.

Last edited by matth45; 12th September 2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12th September 2007, 11:19 PM
Walter Nebicher Offline

I use only vga=0x317 as kernel parameter, no other parameters with kernel 2.6.20-16 (ubuntu). I think that managing irq by this way it's better for better integrated device support.

by
Old 12th September 2007, 11:22 PM
matth45 Offline

Obviously it's better to use the apic if possible. It's not worth much if it crashes your system though.

You didn't confirm that you can do all those things I mentioned. Can you say if you've tried them?

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2007, 11:31 PM
Walter Nebicher Offline

Hi,

Here is what I did:
-used the touchscreen in tablet mode
-used wifi with wpa2-psk
-configured audio special keys-
-configured power management
-change time and date etc

but:

irqbalance: don't know that it is, I don't have it installed
bluetooth: not used/tested/needed

by
Old 14th September 2007, 09:40 PM
OperatorOne Offline

Speaking of the hardware clock... why does my tx1120 have an issue with the time... more explicitly...

When I boot to Linux and set the time I am good, as long as I only boot to Linux. If i boot to Windows the clock will be about 8 hours wrong. I disabled the UTC checkbox in Linux and set the proper timezone, disabled time syncing, etc. (For some reason I am in a weird no time syncing zone where I cannot contact a time zone server with Windows or Linux. blah).

Still seems to happen when I flip OSes on boot. Any way to fix this?
Old 14th September 2007, 10:51 PM
matth45 Offline

I'm no expert on this, but reading the man page for hwclock may be a good place to start. Maybe windows is setting the hardware clock in a different way? If +/-8 gmt means anything to you (western US), than the problem is most likely that windows and linux don't agree on the convention for setting the hardware clock (i.e. local time or gmt). But you probably already knew that :P

Just to do a sanity check, take a look at the contents of /etc/sysconfig/clock and make sure the settings are what you think they ought to be. This file is read by ntpd (or more specifically, it's init script /etc/init.d/ntpd). So also make sure that the ntpd is running (service ntpd start) and set to always run (chkconfig ntpd on) or use the gui.
Old 15th September 2007, 06:57 AM
OperatorOne Offline

Almost there with touchscreen (tx1120us)

I am currently running in what so far has been a stable environment without the noapic boot parameter. I copied portions of an xorg.conf file from an ubuntu thread about the touchscreen...

Now I get touchscreen but my coursor flops to the left upper corner (like you described earlier). Is there a solution for this yet? So far I have not installed anything extra for my touchscreen, it's simply whatever shipped with FC7-64 and has been updated with yum.

I'm running kernel 2.6.22.5-76.fc7

cat /proc/bus/input/devices yields this...

Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0eef Product=0001 Version=0210
N: Name="eGalax INC. USB TouchController"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:0b.1-2.3/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse2 event3
B: EV=b
B: KEY=401 30000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=f

Here's my xorg.conf file
Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0 "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
        InputDevice "touchscreen"

EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AllowMouseOpenFail" "yes"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Configured Mouse"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "CorePointer"
        #Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        #Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "touchscreen"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
        Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
        Option "MinX" "95"
        Option "MaxY" "3977"
        Option "MaxX" "3975"
        Option "MinY" "120"
        #Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
        #Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        #Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        Option "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Last edited by OperatorOne; 15th September 2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Extra Info
Old 15th September 2007, 11:01 PM
OperatorOne Offline

Ok I need to correct my above statement. I had to re-add the noapic to my boot line. so now I am booting with this...

Code:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-76.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet acpi_os="!Linux" acpi_os_name="Windows 2006" noapic irqfixup
And my current situation is that my touchscreen itself is working and partially communicating with X. I can prove this by hovering the mouse over the KDE Menu button on my taskbar and when I tap the screen I get a 'single' mouseclock response (menu opens) and when I tap again the menu closes. I do not have any 'mouse' movement when I drag the pen around however.

My current Xorg.conf is pretty bare, and it below.
Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AllowMouseOpenFail" "yes"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
I am going to be goofing with it later today after I spend some time with the wife, so I'll let you know if I am able to get any farther. I gathered a whole list of sites that are discussing this model of notebook and have been compiling a list of what works and what doesn't for my model (tx1120us) so I can contribute back by publishing a howto for it (siting all of your brilliant work of course, you guys are great).

Im working on getting the wife moved to Linux but she can't let go of the Sims 2 haha. So I have her setup to dual boot WinXP Pro and FC7. Of course her desktop isn't so bleeing edge, so her entire kit worked ootb (cept I had to download a TV app for the WinTV card, but drivers were there). But it was easy with the desktop as I build all of mine with solid, name brand hardware that has traditionally been supported with Linux, not so easy with notebooks.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2007, 04:55 PM
guyc Offline

OperatorOne, I don't believe the evdev driver was designed to operate a touchscreen. It would be interesting if it can, of course.

With irqfixup passed to the kernel my touchscreen has been working quite reliably for a while using the eGalax driver on their site. I have not solved the issue with recalibration for different orientations though, and am waiting to hear from them. However, the parameter seems to cause instability (crashes) with aiglx (which I have therefore turned off). I can't say I've fully verified that it is the cause of these problems, though.

Unrelatedly - after resuming from a suspend to RAM, everything things to work until I either suspend again or restart the X server, at which point the nvidia driver refuses to reinitialize. I have been in contact with them and they are trying to reproduce the issue. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:0:5:0.
Old 16th September 2007, 10:28 PM
OperatorOne Offline

Yes I actually copied alot of my xorg.conf from that page. At this pont I think I am going to try matth45's solution and install the egalax driver. I'll let you know how that works out. Im taking a break from 'fixing' stuff for now and gaming a bit on my Linux notebook. what really pisses me off is how much faster this sweet notebook is with a decent OS on it, just the day to day tasks are so much more responsive than in Vista it makes me wanna slap someone.

Now if I can just get my NFS:Most Wanted and my F.E.A.R. game to run on my FC7 install, I think I will never need Vista again. :P
Old 17th September 2007, 05:39 AM
matth45 Offline

I never got the evtouch or evdev driver working for the touchscreen, but I'm pretty happy with the egalax driver.

guyc I have the same behavior regarding the nvidia driver. If you find a solution, please pass it along!

Does anyone know a good handwriting recognition program for linux?
Old 17th September 2007, 10:57 AM
guyc Offline

I think cellwriter is remarkably good, perhaps even slightly better than Vista's handwriting panel. It's also extensible to other languages. It does require some annoying training to get started though.

As for OneNote alternatives, Xournal/Gournal have no handwriting recognition, while Jarnal and notelab's recognition abilities border on the pathetic in my experience, Windows wins that round. I have to say that after so many years of typing I'd much rather take my notes using a keyboard in lyx, though... It may be that an active stylus would make a difference there, but I don't really think so.
Old 17th September 2007, 01:34 PM
guyc Offline

This is only marginally related, but may be useful to someone - I turned the media button (which to me suggests rotation more than media in appearance any way) into a screen rotate button by using the xbindkeys method described here, launching the following script (which should be place in /usr/bin/screenrot or something similar):

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
@lines = `xrandr -q`;
if($lines[1] =~ m/\d\s\(normal/) {
        `xrandr -o left`;
}
elsif($lines[1] =~ m/\d\sleft \(normal/) {
        `xrandr -o inverted`;
}
elsif($lines[1] =~ m/\d\sright \(normal/) {
        `xrandr -o normal`;
}
elsif($lines[1] =~ m/\d\sinverted \(normal/) {
        `xrandr -o right`;
}
The reason I did not use the original rotate button is that it does not register as either a keypress or an acpi event as far as I can see. Has anyone gotten it or the utility button next to it working?

Also, when the screen is rotated to tablet mode and clicked into place, the keyboard is completely disabled, including all the special buttons and the remote. Can anyone else confirm this and/or find a solution?

Finally, I still do not have a way to quickly recalibrate the touchscreen when changing orientation.
Old 19th September 2007, 05:04 AM
matth45 Offline

Thanks for the handy perl script. It's a lot more compact than the cshell script I wrote for the same purpose. And I like the touch of reading the current orientation from xrandr - I hadn't noticed that it gave that info.

I can confirm both that the bottom two buttons on the screen (rotate and utility?) don't send an acpi or keyboard event for me, and that my keyboard is disabled when the screen is rotated to tablet mode.

Do these buttons work in Windows in tablet mode? I actually never even booted Windows on my machine : )
Old 19th September 2007, 09:45 PM
guyc Offline

Quote:
Do these buttons work in Windows in tablet mode?
Yes.

I'm going to try this when I have a few hours to burn, but I would be more comfortable if someone with thicker penguin blood succeeds first:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems

It does not look too excruciating to do and may very well fix the GPU fan, the extra buttons and (fingers crossed) the suspend, as well as allowing us all to get rid of those pesty kernel parameters.

Tags
driver, evtouch, segfault, x8664