Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th July 2007, 04:21 PM
Misanthrope Offline

Hard disk not detected

Hello everyone,

I was trying to install Fedora 7 i386 on my computer but it doesn't detect any hard disk drives. When I try to install Windows it detects, but not on Fedora.

Could someone please help me?

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2007, 04:31 PM
pfanwick Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope
Hello everyone,

I was trying to install Fedora 7 i386 on my computer but it doesn't detect any hard disk drives. When I try to install Windows it detects, but not on Fedora.

Could someone please help me?

Thanks!
In installing Fedora 7 I had many problems like this. I could boot off the dvd but then the installation never was able to use the dvd or any hard disks or even a USB flash disk. I finally opened the computer. I found an old 40 wire ATA cable on the second drives. When I replaced it with a modern 80 wire cable (which has the same connectors) then everything worked fine. I do not know if the combination of one 40 and one 80 wire cable casued the problem or just having a 40 wire cable.
Old 27th July 2007, 04:33 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
If the drive's detected in the BIOS, there's probably a bug on that install disc. I'll bet it's the DVD version as I remember seeing some threads on a similar problem. If so, give it a try with the Live CD and see if you can do the install from there. Frankly, with the speed that updates happen in Fedora, most of the packages on the DVD version will need an update once online anyway.

For the Live CD versions, choose a mirror and then select Releases > 7 > Live and go in from there to pick and choose which you want.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 27th July 2007, 04:49 PM
Misanthrope Offline

Yes, the hard disk drive is detected in BIOS and yes, it is the DVD version. So I'll take a look on that Live version. Anyway, is this the version I should install? "Fedora 7 Live i686." My processor is an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 560 J @ 3600 MHz.
Old 27th July 2007, 05:58 PM
elsmob Offline

What type of hard drive is it (IDE, SATA)?
Old 27th July 2007, 06:19 PM
bob Offline

I'd install the i386 version for either Gnome or KDE, your choice. The X86_64 is fine but there is little advantage to the average user for using X86_ 64 and there are several workarounds that you'd have with it. Most people still like the "i386" which is actually will install as i686 in your machine.

Old 27th July 2007, 07:32 PM
rahul.ks Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
If the drive's detected in the BIOS, there's probably a bug on that install disc. I'll bet it's the DVD version as I remember seeing some threads on a similar problem. If so, give it a try with the Live CD and see if you can do the install from there. Frankly, with the speed that updates happen in Fedora, most of the packages on the DVD version will need an update once online anyway.

For the Live CD versions, choose a mirror and then select Releases > 7 > Live and go in from there to pick and choose which you want.

bob even my problem is the same i guess... i better give back a try for my old FC 6 dvd now... rather than installing F 7... dvd version what...say...??
Old 27th July 2007, 07:51 PM
Misanthrope Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsmob
What type of hard drive is it (IDE, SATA)?
It's SATA.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...3200822as.html
Old 1st August 2007, 09:55 PM
growltiger Offline

I have a problem with disk detection, too. I own 3 hard drives, 2 are SATA and one is a standar IDE ATA drive. The BIOS detects all 3. But FC7 does not detect the third. I tried fdisk -l and disktools and shot snake eyes.

The odd thing is that I had no such problem in FC5 or FC6. FYI, I did not upgrade; I did a "clean" install. When doing so, the third drive was not connected. It is a WinXP volume and in earlier incarnations the Fedora installer would have selected that volume to do the installation. And in the past, I would do the install and reconnect the drive and then use ntfs-3g to mount and access it.

If I use the BIOS, I can switch the boot priority and then mount and load XP. But I would really like to re-institute dual-boot because this process is quite tedious. Besides that it all worked.

Any suggestions?
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:14 AM
growltiger Offline

Okay, some more diagnostics.
1. the sata drives are detected (they are the boot drives)
2. my 2 primary ide dvd drives are detected
3. it is the secondary ide drive which is NOT detected

Here is what I believe to be the relevant log message:
ata4: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x0000000000010170 ctl 0x0000000000010376 bmdma 0x00
ata4: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0xd0)
ata4: SRST failed (errno=-16)

Ideas? Comments?
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:35 AM
bob Offline

Well, you can go into full root (su -) and post the result of 'fdisk -l' . You may be able to add it by mapping:

title Windows
map (hd0) (hdx) < once determined
map (hdx) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hdx,x)
chainloader +1

As always, check Bugzilla, because you're probably not alone and the dev's have to know when drives aren't properly detected so that they can do a fix.

Old 2nd August 2007, 12:52 AM
growltiger Offline

fdisk -l only lists my SATA drives. It appears that as far as the system is concerned my IDE drive is non-existent. Which is sad. It used to work under fc6.
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:05 AM
bob Offline

Growltiger, I imagine that Bugzilla already has this error mentioned by a few people, but I'd certainly add my name to any open bugs. There might already be a 'fix', but the developers need to understand that this is a widespread problem.

Old 2nd August 2007, 04:15 PM
kflorek46 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by growltiger
Okay, some more diagnostics.
1. the sata drives are detected (they are the boot drives)
2. my 2 primary ide dvd drives are detected
3. it is the secondary ide drive which is NOT detected

Here is what I believe to be the relevant log message:
ata4: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x0000000000010170 ctl 0x0000000000010376 bmdma 0x00
ata4: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0xd0)
ata4: SRST failed (errno=-16)

Ideas? Comments?
Since this worked before and the DVD drives on the same controller are detected, there is no logical reason for the HD not to work. As a long time (and old) troubleshooter, I have seen not-quite-logical fixes work quite often. So ...

I assume the timing has been changed in the newer driver. What I'd do is put the HD in the place of one of the DVDs and see what happens. It is easy and doesn't cost anything, which is the kind of fix I like to try first, even if it doesn't have high success.

If you are saying you have the DVDs as masters and the HD as a slave, this is often claimed to be a poor set up. Why? IDE slaves work by going through the master, and hard drives are much more demanding of bandwidth than DVDs. The HD is bound to have the much higher performance interface chips. In the days when dual controller chips (for two cables) were a new thing, it was also bad for performance to put the higher bandwidth IDE drive on the secondary controller.

Last edited by kflorek46; 2nd August 2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 2nd August 2007, 07:17 PM
lmo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflorek46
Since this worked before and the DVD drives on the same controller are detected, there is no logical reason for the HD not to work. As a long time (and old) troubleshooter, I have seen not-quite-logical fixes work quite often. So ...
F7 kernel config uses the options that access all drives (ide and sata) under sata.
Apparently, some of those drivers are not quite ripe yet for that.
I used the not-quite-logical fix of booting an old FC6 kernel (which required me to untwist fstab and the initrd because F7 twisted them up to use the "NEW" config way).
It was harder to do than it sounds, and most people would not like to do that.
I did not uninstall the F7 kernel, I just used a different one.

Oh, duhhh on me! You couldn't even get that far.

Tags
detected, disk, hard