I am newbie to this forum and almost completely newbie to linux - particularly fedora. Before posting my trouble, I have to say (I am very sorry if making you guys who love linux unsatisfied) that Windows is still something official and easy as it enables many ppl to work with computer with fun. Linux, divided into many platforms, all somehow to have many issues and to use them is not straightforward at all. I have some problems with Fedora 7 which really gotten me crazy. I have tried to figured them out by myself before asking ppl but I failed even when I have read document and search for the similar questions. I will start now.
OK, I have an ethernet card integrated in mother board which is SIS900 PCI Fast Ethernet, after installing Fedora 7 and log in as usual, I could access some websites for example my university website, my newspaper website, however, I couldn't access Google and many many other like this Fedora website. I felt very strange and I found some thread somewhere saying about the incompatibility of this SIS900 card. I rebooted after playing around with changing to static ip and the problem still stayed the same, I rebooted once again and this time there was absolutely no more internet. I deactivate the card which is eth0 and re-activate and I got the message saying the card seems not present and it failed to activate.
I bought another ethernet card and this one is RTL8139, SMC EZ. I felt happy as I thought the problem of incompatibility may be the culprit with the SIS900. I was very quickly taken to my university website and newspaper site, I could also access google, however the happiness didn't last long when I realised that I couldn't acces Ebay and many other like before and check the network I saw this one is called eth1. Strange isnt it? I mean I can access some websites and not the rest. Rebooting once again destroyed my hope that there is completely no network.
Now I felt very frustrated and dunno whats goin on here. I surrendered. As many ppl require I also post my ifconfig command result here to see if some one can help me. I do need your help thats why I have to make this long post. Below is the result:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:85
inet addr:10.1.1.5 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::214:85ff:fecb:1422/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:3719 (3.6 KiB) TX bytes:13120 (12.8 KiB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0xa800
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:93:0C
inet addr:10.1.1.9 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::240:f4ff:fe93:cc3/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:277 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:46441 (45.3 KiB) TX bytes:31271 (30.5 KiB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:9311 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9311 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:63307260 (60.3 MiB) TX bytes:63307260 (60.3 MiB).
Also the office machine I got the problem with the yum to connect through proxy and reading the Fedora document making me still being far way from any solution. I dont know where to put and what code to put in to the yum configuration file or something else like barshrc or /etc/profile etc... All the explanations are very short, not in detail and not appropriate for a newbie like me. Even at home (without proxy but face the above ethernet cards problem) or office (not problem with ethernet card but with proxy), the updater failed to look for updates. I am extremely upset as I have spent almost 3 days to work out and to look for solutions.
Once again, please, if you have seen my post, do give me some help if you can. I am in a really hard situation.
Longing for your help