Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st July 2007, 08:28 PM
DaMizZa Offline

Question Battery losing charge while off?

I just upgraded to Fedora 7 from Fedora 6 not too long ago. I've noticed lately that if I charge my battery to 100% before turning it off, the next day when I try to power it back up, the battery is completely dead and I have to plug it in before it'll even turn on. I haven't had this problem at all while using Fedora 6, and just want to be sure this isn't possibly an issue with Fedora 7 not shutting down properly or something.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-SK4 laptop, and it is less than a year old. I figured I would rule out Fedora as a possible cause before getting any repairs done to the laptop itself, but to try and save time. I'm not sure if maybe anyone else has had this problem before with their laptop, but I've checked pretty much everything I can, and I cannot seem to find anything that could be causing this.

Other than my battery, so far Fedora 7 has been running beautifully. I've had no problem getting IPW3945 up and running (With the exception of wlassistant not wanting to run in anything but root).
I'm kind of hoping it's a problem with the laptop itself, but just want to be sure before I give it away for a possibly extended period of time to have the warranty take care of it...

Thanks for your help!

Edit *Forgot to mention that I have made sure that it is shutting down and not hibernating or going into sleep mode. But within 24 hours that battery is so dead that the led doesn't even light up to indicate that there is no charge in the battery to turn on.. Kinda worrysome as this would definatly be causing damage to the battery, especially when I don't get the chance to turn it on for several days..*
Old 31st July 2007, 08:46 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I suspect the problem is in the battery itself. Sounds like a cell has reversed.

Last edited by TangledWeb; 31st July 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 1st August 2007, 01:00 AM
Hobashira Offline

I had that problem before on a laptop, with the battery turning as dead as a door nail overnight, with not even a LED attempting to blink on startup.

Still, I knew my laptop had been properly turned off and was not hibernating.

It was the battery and incidentally, the laptop was running Windoze. Neither FC6 nor F7 had anything to do with it!
Old 1st August 2007, 01:05 AM
Hobashira Offline

DaMizZa, I should add that I have also been running FC6, then F7 on a Sony Vaio Laptop for several months now and I did not notice that the battery was behaving any differently as compared to when the same laptop was powered by Windoze.
Old 1st August 2007, 01:05 AM
marko Offline

Did you try physically removing the battery to test if it will discharge even if
it's not in the laptop?
Mark
Old 1st August 2007, 01:34 AM
DaMizZa Offline

Thanks for all your advice! I tried putting it in hibernate, and it seems to hold the charge better than when it's off, which is odd, but I'm not complaining...

I'll try removing it to see if it still loses it's charge, that's a good idea I never even thought of trying...

Again, thanks for all the input and help, muchly appreciated!
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:38 PM
ryptyde Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
Did you try physically removing the battery to test if it will discharge even if
it's not in the laptop?
Mark
Follow marko's advice and fully charge then remove the battery and leave it set overnight or for 12 hours and then reinstall and see what state of charge it shows.
Old 6th August 2007, 07:43 AM
DaMizZa Offline

Yeah tried removing the battery after charging it... Didn't lose any of it's charge.

Only seems to happen when the laptop is off and battery is in. However, if I put the laptop into hibernate, it doesn't lose the charge nearly as fast as it does completely shut down, oddly enough...

My computers create more mysteries than Agatha Christie!
Old 6th August 2007, 09:27 AM
metalworm Offline

Hey, I am using Sony Vaio and get the same problem too. I used KPower Save before without problem. However, when I recognize that if I use gnome-power-manager, my laptop can use standby and hibernate function. So I go back to gnome power manager.

When using Gnome Power Manager, I notice that when I leave the laptop to idle and the screen is auto off, the battery become losing charge like the OP. I did not notice other situation so I am not sure that is the battery is losing charge while laptop is off or not. Maybe the bug of Gnome Power Manager.
Old 6th August 2007, 06:07 PM
DaMizZa Offline

I think it may be possible, but I use KDE instead of Gnome... I have no idea what could possibly be doing this, but what I do know is that I have no problem using Hibernate over Shut Down, so it doesn't bother me all that much anymore at least.

Thanks again for all the help and input though!
Old 6th August 2007, 07:00 PM
mndar Offline

When you powered off, did you leave the power adapter plugged into the laptop ? I have a Compaq and in my case I lose about 6% in 12 hours if I leave the power adapter connected to the laptop.
Old 6th August 2007, 09:26 PM
DaMizZa Offline

No, it was unplugged... I've started to try just taking the battery out and plugging it in when I can, as I've sort of neglected the battery over the past year or so by leaving it plugged in while fully charged, or by not completely draining the battery once a month like you should, and other random small things, so I can't expect the battery to work as good as the day I got it... I'm mostly happy it works at all right now, just because it had absolutely no charge for at least a week or more while it was sitting around without use...
Old 12th August 2007, 01:05 PM
wizardks Offline

Do you have any thing plugged into the card slot. It is possible (especially on older laptops) that the card is drawing the batt. down. I have a compaq presario 715us and if i leave the linksys wpc54g plugged in it will run the batt. down. Happens with winblows and linux, am running Ubuntu right now. Can;t seem to get the wpc54g ver 3 card to work in FC7. I might have to go back to winblows, Linux seems ro make the thing run much hotter, the battery runs down about 50% faster too
Old 12th August 2007, 11:34 PM
DaMizZa Offline

No, I don't have anything connected externally, via usb or card slot... One thing I did notice that kind of concerns me is that I seem to get an error telling me that it was unable to load or initiate cooling devices, but luckily I don't really use the laptop for an extended period of time...

Tags
battery, charge, losing