Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th August 2007, 05:20 PM
ggalt Offline

ogg / vorbis static library files in F7?

I'm working on a project that requires linking to the static ogg and vorbis libraries. I've installed both libvorbis-devel and libogg-devel rpms, but I get:
gcc: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.a: No such file or directory
gcc: /usr/lib/libvorbis.a: No such file or directory
gcc: /usr/lib/libogg.a: No such file or directory

none of these libraries exist anywhere on my system. Are these rpms lacking these files, or has something changed between FC6 and F7 (this worked on FC6)?

George
Old 15th August 2007, 05:57 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

The static libraries were removed in F7 for a lot of the library packages, including libvorbis and libogg. There are a few packages that have static libs (search for 'static' in the Everything repo), but not for the ones you want. This has been a bit of a problem for me too, albeit for other libraries. The way to solve it is to get the SRPMs for libvorbis and libogg and modify the spec files to include building static libraries. Then build the RPMs and install them. It's not that difficult to do, there are how-to's for that.
Old 15th August 2007, 03:05 PM
ggalt Offline

Thanks. I'll do that. Any info on why this design decision was made?

Tags
files, library, ogg, static, vorbis