Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th August 2007, 03:28 PM
phrgarek Offline

aannoying,annoying and annoying java

i'm using fedora 7...i've installed mozilla firefox and new java jre-6u2-linux-i586-rpm.bin package, following the instructions from java homepage...then, there was main step where i must "tell" firefox where
java is installed... and java says: " 1. Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Mozilla installation directory
cd <Mozilla installation directory>/plugins
2. In the current directory, create a symbolic link to the JRE ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so file Type:
ln -s <JRE installation directory>/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Example:
* If Mozilla is installed in this directory:
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/
* and if the JRE is installed at this directory:
/usr/java/jre1.5.0
* Then type at the terminal to go to the browser plug-in directory:
cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins
* Enter the following command to create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in for the Mozilla browser.
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7
/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
3. Start Mozilla browser or restart it if it is already running. Note that if you have other Mozilla components (ie: Messenger, Composer, etc) running, you will need to restart them as well.
4. Go to Edit > Preferences. Under Advanced category > Select Enable Java

i've done every step, only insted jre15.0 i entered jre16.0, 'cause my package is new, but that seems not to work...i tried some more stupidities, but i can't manage that...this is soooo annoying... please help me again...
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by phrgarek; 28th August 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 28th August 2007, 03:39 PM
Wayne

One of the safest ways to install Java is NOT follow the instructions on the Sun site but do it this way:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...a-f7.html#java

I've never had a problem with Java following similar instructions since FC5 on two machines.

Wayne
Old 28th August 2007, 03:46 PM
tashirosgt Offline

To make the directions work for the new package, I think you need to check where things are with the 'ls' command.
For example, is Mozilla installed in the /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4 directory? (If you aren't familiar with 'ls', you would type:
ls /usr/lib
and see if there is a directory there called mozilla-1.4)

Are you familiar with using the command line?
Old 28th August 2007, 03:57 PM
stevea Offline

yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33
sh ~/Desktop/jre-6u2-linux-i586-rpm.bin
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jre1.6.0_02/bin/java 1602
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
Old 28th August 2007, 04:46 PM
bob_c_b Offline

This method from fedora-solved worked like a champ for me, just adjust the procedure with the proper version #
| Intel C2D e6420 | Intel DP965LTCK mobo | 2x 1GB Kingston DD2-800 | Seagate 7200.10 320GB HDD | TSST SATA DVD +/- RW | Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT SilentPipe II | Intel HD Audio | Intel 82566DC Gb Ethernet | 2x Dell 1708FP LCDs | Fedora 7 |
Old 29th August 2007, 11:37 AM
phrgarek Offline

ok,thanks for all instructions, but how to uninstall mine java installation that i maybe screwed up?? what is regular way to remove java?
Old 29th August 2007, 03:28 PM
tashirosgt Offline

I've never used the uninstall script that comes with a Java installation, but there usually is one. Look in the /opt/jdk.....
directories.

Tags
aannoying, annoying, java