Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd September 2007, 07:04 PM
cartisdm Offline

Dell e1505 wireless problem

Ok, so I've got the classic "can't get my wireless card to work with linux" problem but forgive me. I'm new into the linux OS so I pretty much need to be babied through. I don't really understand anything when it comes to how the system itself works (I am very familiar with computers, hardware, and the windows OS). I found a page that gave me a link to where I could find the driver that I need to get it working, but I feel like an idiot cuz when I try to get things started inside Fedora I am clueless.

http://doubleclix.wordpress.com/2006...7400ati-x1400/

That's the link posted above. I downloaded it and burned it to a CD so I can use it when I boot up Fedora. It comes with a stupid readme file and some installation instructions but it's telling me all this stuff that I have no idea what it's talking about. "mac1011" "kernal this-that." Sorry, It's giving me a headache trying to figure out so I'm finally coming to the experts.

I'm dual booting a Dell e1505 with XP Pro and Fedora Core 6. As far as I can tell everything works just great (including wired internet) but I just can't wrap my head around this darn wireless problem.

HELP!
Old 3rd September 2007, 07:45 PM
abensonox Offline

It looks as if you need the Intel Pro Wireless 3945 drivers. You can install these via the atrpms repository.

Go to:

http://www.atrpms.net/install.html

and follow the instructions for how to set up use of this repository (you'll be using yum to install the drivers).

Then you'll need to install the driver. The packages are available here:

http://www.atrpms.net/dist/fc6/ipw3945/

To install them, simply type (as root):

yum install ipw3945

You'll probably also need ieee80211, ipw3945-ucode, ipw3945d:

yum install ieee80211 ipw3945-ucode ipw3945d

You may want to check out the iwlwifi packages also - these are a new implementation of the Intel wireless drivers as far as I know, but I haven't tried them myself. Maybe someone else can advise on whether or not to use these?
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:46 PM
cartisdm Offline

yea so........I don't know what any of that means haha. Could you break it down simpler than that or know of a great place for a newbie to learn what he needs to know when it comes to this stuff?
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:33 PM
scotta3234 Offline

Take a look at this and take the time to READ through the information here: http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...rom-freshrpms/

If you're still having problems after this I will assist you.

Also, I would advise against using atrpms repository for installing software.
Old 4th September 2007, 01:54 AM
cartisdm Offline

blah, apparently I'm retarded because I don't understand this stuff. I downloaded the atrpms thing. And I have the driver saved to my desktop, but I'm stuck. Where am I supposed to run these commands and stuff?
Old 4th September 2007, 02:25 AM
scotta3234 Offline

A little bit of explaining:

First, Every linux distribution has something called a package manager. It's a way to get packages (software) to use on your computer. In your case, it's also how we'll install the firmware (and any other packages you need) for your card. Different software is contained/resides in different "Repositories", but you don't have all of these enabled by default for a variety of reasons. So the first thing we have to do is either set up Freshrpms repository or Atrpms repository (which i don't suggest) so that you can get the package you need... the ipw3945 stuff.

Second, the only thing you need to get is the firmware for this card. Support for the card is already included in the kernel, it's just a matter of installing the firmware to get it to run. Fedora can't include this firmware for legal reasons. There are several ways to do this. I suggest getting the necessary packages from freshrpms.... NOT atrpms, but you can do whatever you choose.

Third, All of these commands are supposed to be run from the terminal,which is located under Applications/SystemTools/Terminal. You will need root access (since you are installing stuff) , but I believe the guide I posted originally says this.

If you open up a terminal and follow the instructions I posted above (which will get freshrpms setup) along with making sure you get the necessary packages.
Old 4th September 2007, 02:30 AM
scotta3234 Offline

Ok... the guide doesn't explain root very well.

Once you open up the terminal type:

Code:
su -
It will ask for your root password... type it in and then continue with the directions. You will need to use root anytime you're installing packages.
Old 4th September 2007, 06:36 AM
cartisdm Offline

Awesome I am now 100 steps farther than I was before thanks. I'm starting to get the hang of how linux works and stuff. Here is what I've got so far:

The steps you posted with all the codes that are to be run in the terminal: I ran those. They all were a success and downloaded etc...

Now what? haha sorry to be a pain, but you guys are really helping me a lot I'm really excited about getting started on linux.

Do I need to use the Network under System to add my wireless card? Because I didn't see it listed. I also couldn't figure out how to run those Tests that where in the link you gave me with the command lines.
Old 5th September 2007, 06:04 PM
chris.abel Offline

Wish I was more of a pro to help you out!? Fear not, I have the Intel 3945ABG card, and it works great under FEDORA 7 on my Dell E1505 now. you will get there! there was another gr8t post on here about the 3945 and how to install. Do some searching on the forum, it goes step by step by step.! I still call myself a newb after 3 months, but after just a week of using Fed Core 7 I knew I was never going back to Windows. Hang in there!
Old 7th September 2007, 02:07 AM
cartisdm Offline

Ok, I was messing around with stuff and ended up crashing my Fedora install lol. It stopped booting properly so I went ahead and installed Fedora Core 7. As far as I can tell (I've only had it on for about half an hour) everything is running smoothly. It's picked up all of my hardware from what I can tell, including my wireless card. Again, me still being new to Fedora I don't know my way around. How do I access my wireless network? I see it listed under Network and it's turned on and active, but how do I use it?
Old 7th September 2007, 05:35 AM
scotta3234 Offline

I would first try turning on NetworkManager which is located under System/Administration/Services

Then check the box for network manager,save and hit start.
Old 7th September 2007, 06:22 AM
cartisdm Offline

awsome, hang in there guys I'm almost done. I did that and now I can see my network (and others nearby) and I can connect to it etc. I can see that I'm connected and all that good stuff, but I am not getting online. I can get online easily when I'm through a wired connection, any idea? I'm getting pretty exciting that I'm coming down the home stretch

Tags
dell, e1505, problem, wireless