Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th September 2007, 04:28 AM
Melio Offline

Post New Nvidia Dualhead xorg.conf

I had to create a new dual head configuration file (Xorg.conf)

I was wondering if there was anything inferior about this that someone would like to comment on

possibly I can clean it up some.. it works great.

this handles two crt monitors, both 19 inches, with an nvidia card (spec in my tag line)

What's nice about this setup is, it doesn't open windows across BOTH monitors, which is annoying. apps see 1 monitor , and as you drag them from one to another, they like to stick to the corners a little. it's kinda nice. I'm not sure how I got to this point, but it's a lot better then trying to manually adjust a browser window for instance to fit a screen, then accidentally opening it full screen when trying to move it and it floods both monitors..

PLEASE SHARE your ideas. also in the modules section, I'd like to identify what each module is for and what it does, it seems like I'm always tossing modules in there and not knowing what they are for.
Attached Files
File Type: conf xorg.conf (3.5 KB, 254 views)
video[ MSI NX8600GT Twin Turbo GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card (Dual Optiquest Q20WB LCD wide Screen Monitors ]
Linux Registered User #391755
Smolt Profile
Old 13th September 2007, 11:28 PM
VictorienSardou Offline

there is information in configuring the xorg.conf for nvidia here:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...DME/index.html

appendix B has all the config options.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:11 AM
camel125 Offline

Newbie here,
I am having issues with running a dell e770s CRT and a GEM 17" LCD. Actually the LCD is the only one that works off of my nVidia geforce4 mx440 dual vga. If I switch monitors physically, via cable, the CRT is out of sync, which is understandable. But I am trying to get the dual head going and I can't, it keeps crashing when I enable it. F7 i386 seems to trouble free for me right now except for the dual head.

Can I get some advice. I hope to use this box for some graphical work.
I also have kicking around a radeon 9250 with a DVI adaptor, is that going to give me the same trouble?

Thanks very much!
Camel

Intel based box P4 512crucial
Old 14th September 2007, 11:57 AM
VictorienSardou Offline

camel125: have you installed the legacy nvidia drivers from the livna [rpm.livna.org] repo?
Old 15th September 2007, 02:28 AM
camel125 Offline

Thanks,
between you and another good soul I am getting there.

I went to the livna site and found the rpm for f7. I downloaded it and then installed it. I assume it is okay to ignore the "not being able to identify" warning? So I installed it all through using GUI.

I then tried to YUM a driver (nvidia 96xx) that would not install [nothing to do] so I found the driver on the livna site and installed from there. It solved my problem with using two monitors but I ran into some more issues after playing around with resolutions and such.

By the end of it all I thought I was good when I crashed. It took me to prompt, I tried rebooting. Got to the Fedora kernal option but always went to prompt with a fatal IO error 104.

I wish I were more savvy with command or terminal...but I think I will be by the end of this issue. I am going to need this soon for my work. If I have to I will use one monitor but two would be great and three would be ideal.

One at a time and day by day.

Thanks again for your help. Any more direction would be appreciated!

Camel

NFH
OS -Fedora 7 (moonshine) i386-2.6.21-1.3194
Mobo- Intel D845EBG2
cpu -Intel P4 2.4
mem -Crucial TWO - 1Gig sticks no buff no EEc 3200
Video -nVidia GeForce4 mx440 Dual VGA
Mon1 -GEM 17" 1280x1024
Mon2 -Dell e770s 1280x1024
2 MONitorS @ 2560x 1024 Can't save xorg.conf
TracyBean

Tags