Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 20th September 2007, 10:12 PM
theredguy Offline

ATI HDA - SIGMATEL STAC 9200 CHIPSET How To

Here's what you need to do to get sound if you have this chipset:
1. uninstall every alsa package if you have any
rpm -qa | grep -i alsa - if it shows nothing skip this step
and then
rpm -evv --nodeps alsa-... for every package

2. go to www.alsa-project.org and download these files :
alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2
alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2
.alsa-utils-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2

Open a terminal and type : su then make a directory called alsa into /usr/local/src. Copy the files to this directory and unpack them (tar xjvf alsa-... for every file).

3. go to https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...ew.php?id=3036 and download the file patch_sigmatel.c.patch-1.0.15rc1-simple. Copy the patch to /usr/local/src/alsa.

4. type this :
patch alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c < patch_sigmatel.c.patch-1.0.15rc1-simple.

5. do this:
cd alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1/
./configure && make && make install
cd ../alsa-utils-1.0.15rc1/
cd ../alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1/

If the configure script complains about missing some libraries yum for them and try again.

6. reboot
7. after rebooting volume may be muted so use kmix or some other mixer to enable it.

Hope it works for you. I have a Gateway MT 3705 laptop and i finally have sound after months of silence

Last edited by theredguy; 20th September 2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 7th October 2007, 05:31 PM
mrspock33 Offline

thredguy, thanks a bunch for this post, it worked like a champ! I am using PClinuxos on a Gateway MT3422 and went a head and posted my own mini-guide based largely on yours (includes wireless networking setup as well). Note that there are currently update developmental alsa packages from the ones you quoted, but most should be able to figure that out.

If anybody want to check it out, go to http://zder.net/
Old 7th October 2007, 06:27 PM
FriedChips Offline

damn, I sold my last laptop because it had this sound system and I could not get it to work. Figures, thanks though, I know there are still ALOT of people looking for this. You may want to post something at the nVidia forums cuz I know there are ALOT of pissed off people there.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 11th October 2007, 06:31 PM
dmbomb Offline

theredguy - Thanks for the info, It worked great for me as well. I am using an hp pavilian dv9500t. Sound looked like it was working, drivers loaded songs played, but no sound at all. The blue light on my laptop telling me that my sound was working was red, which meant that it was muted somehow. I am using openSuSE 10.3. The fix worked perfect for me. Thanks again.

Tags
ati, chip, hda, sigmatel