Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th September 2007, 12:57 AM
denniswimer Offline

Fedora 7 Kernel Panic [System x3655 w/RAID]

I decided it was time to ask the experts, as I am relatively new to Linux(Fedora) and the installation onto this IBM System x3655 is driving me up the wall. The following is an excerpt from the output I was able to see (after the scrolling stopped) from my attempt at installing FC6:

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while ...
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
device-mapper: table: 253:0 liner:dm-linear: Device lookup failed
device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
init[1]: segfault at (address information deleted for brevity)
error 4
nash received SIGSEGV! Backtrace:
. [backtrace information deleted for brevity]
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

After reading through a lot of the posts, I have tried various boot options -- in specific noapic and nodmraid -- all with no success.

Then, I attempted installing FC7. After acknowledging where the logfiles would be stored, I was presented with a screen with exceptions. The primary culprit here seems to be a PVCreateError: pvcreate of pv "/dev/sda1" failed [pvcreate -ff -y -v /dev/sda1]. It makes sense that if it cannot create the partition, it cannot mount and boot.

In both cases, when defining the partitions to be created, I have tried deleting all partitions and letting linux decide the best configuration; and deleting only the Linux partitions and accepting the default configuraiton. In both cases, I end up with sda and sdb partitions. In both cases, I have told it to perform the installation on the smaller partition (sdb -- not the LSI MegaRAID partition).

sda 285147MB LSI MegaRAID 8480E
sdb 285985MB ServeRA ARRAYA (designated to boot from this device)

Does anybody have any idea of where to start resolving these issues? I would really rather go to FC7, but, at this point, will satisfy myself with either FC6 or FC7 (whichever I can get to install). I would appreciate any and all guidance -- please.
Old 25th September 2007, 06:12 PM
denniswimer Offline

Please Help

I am such a newbie at this stuff that I probably should have started out with asking what information I might provide that would help someone to help me -- and, how to get that information, if I have not already provided it. Please let me know what information is needed so I can move forward with finding answers and resolving this installation dilema. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:24 PM
mr_doktor Offline

is sdb a seperate physical volume? I mean like, is it it's own physical drive on a seperate controller?
Old 25th September 2007, 09:38 PM
denniswimer Offline

Thanks, mr_doktor, for responding.

Here is what is configured during installation:

Drive /dev/sda (2851475 MB) (Model: LSI MegaRAID 8480E)
sda1
2851474 MB
Drive /dev/sdb (285985 MB) (Model: ServeRA ARRAY A)
sdb2
285883 MB
=======================
LVM Volume Groups
VolGroup00 3137248 MB
LogVol00 / ext3 (checked) 3135264 MB
LogVol01 swap (checked) 1984 MB
Hard Drives
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 VolGroup00 LVM PV (checked) 2851475 1 363512
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 /boot ext3 (checked) 102 1 13
/dev/sdb2 VolGroup00 LVM PV (checked) 285883 14 36458
===========================

I believe the short answer to your question is YES, sdb is not part of the physical 3-terabyte raid, which is a hardware RAID detached from the main CPU. It consists of 2 physical 300MB drives, which are controlled by the BIOS, not the RAID (at least that is my understanding).

Tags
fedora, kernel, panic, w or raid, x3655