ppesci Offline

ninju:

first: check if the files:

libQtCore.so.4
libQtDBus.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtNetwork.so.4
libsigc-2.0.so.0

are located in the /usr/lib directory. If not, you can create a link dragging the icon of each file from the /usr/lib64 directory to the /usr/lib directory and selecting "link here". That's it if you are using KDE and can open Konqueror.

If you want to use a command line, you can use the commands (as root).

ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

and so on with the other files.

Try to uninstall skype first with rpm:

rpm -e skype

and after you create the links, install again.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 26th September 2007, 02:45 PM
Ninju Offline

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppesci
ninju:

first: check if the files:

libQtCore.so.4
libQtDBus.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtNetwork.so.4
libsigc-2.0.so.0

are located in the /usr/lib directory. If not, you can create a link dragging the icon of each file from the /usr/lib64 directory to the /usr/lib directory and selecting "link here". That's it if you are using KDE and can open Konqueror.

If you want to use a command line, you can use the commands (as root).

ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

and so on with the other files.

Try to uninstall skype first with rpm:

rpm -e skype

and after you create the links, install again.

HTH
Nope, didn't work:

Code:
root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -e skype
[root@localhost Desktop]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
[root@localhost Desktop]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtDBus.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4
[root@localhost Desktop]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
[root@localhost Desktop]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libQtNetwork.so.4 /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4
[root@localhost Desktop]# ln -s /usr/lib64/libsigc-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libsigc-2.0.so.0
[root@localhost Desktop]# ls
skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586.rpm  SkypeSetup.exe  trash.desktop
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -Uvh skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586.rpm
warning: skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID d66b746e
error: Failed dependencies:
        libQtCore.so.4 is needed by skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586
        libQtDBus.so.4 is needed by skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586
        libQtGui.so.4 is needed by skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586
        libQtNetwork.so.4 is needed by skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586
        libsigc-2.0.so.0 is needed by skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586
Old 26th September 2007, 03:34 PM
FriedChips Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninju
Thanks for the help ppesci, but I need some more. I am a complete linux newbie so when you say "create a link" I'm not exactly sure what to do. I have a feint idea, but I tried that and it didn't help so I want to make sure I'm running the right command before dismissing the possible solution.

FriedChips:
I tried nodeps; the skype installation didn't bring up any missing dependency errors, obviously. However, when I try run skype, the missing dependency errors return

Dunno if this helps:

Code:
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -Uvh --nodeps skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586.rpm
warning: skype-1.4.0.99-fc5.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID d66b746e
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
        package skype-1.4.0.99-fc5 is already installed
[root@localhost Desktop]# sky[e
> exit
>
[root@localhost Desktop]# skype
skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
also:

Code:
yum install qt4-x11.i386
No matching package was found, so that didn't help either unfortunately.

I think at this point I would find a way to enable the fedora 7 repo's just for this install. DO NOT LEAVE IT ENABLED!!!! Make sure it is set to enabled=0 so it doesn't try to update or install other things from 7, then:

Code:
yum install skype --enablerepo=fedora7 #make sure you name it fedora7 in the conf

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 26th September 2007, 03:46 PM
Ninju Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedChips
I think at this point I would find a way to enable the fedora 7 repo's just for this install. DO NOT LEAVE IT ENABLED!!!! Make sure it is set to enabled=0 so it doesn't try to update or install other things from 7, then:

Code:
yum install skype --enablerepo=fedora7 #make sure you name it fedora7 in the conf
In the conf? Umm... where's that? I'm a complete linux newbie so apologies for the somewhat stupid questions.
Old 26th September 2007, 04:16 PM
FriedChips Offline

I'm at a windows box right now but I will try to get something together for you when I get home but if you look around in the /etc/ folder you should see a yum.conf look in there for some info

Code:
cat /etc/yum.conf
also I'm not sure if there is a man page but there could be try
Code:
man yum.conf
that could get you some pretty good info.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 26th September 2007, 09:01 PM
Ninju Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedChips
I'm at a windows box right now but I will try to get something together for you when I get home but if you look around in the /etc/ folder you should see a yum.conf look in there for some info

Code:
cat /etc/yum.conf
also I'm not sure if there is a man page but there could be try
Code:
man yum.conf
that could get you some pretty good info.
Okay, so I hate to keep asking questions like this, but I'm really unsure as to what I need to do. I've posted the output of those two commands below:

Code:
[alex@localhost etc]$ cat yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

[alex@localhost etc]$ man yum.conf
yum.conf(5)                 yum configuration file                 yum.conf(5)

NAME
       yum.conf - Configuration file for yum(8).

DESCRIPTION
       Yum uses a configuration file at /etc/yum.conf.

Additional  configuration  files are also read from the directories set
       by   the   reposdir   option   (default   is   ‘/etc/yum.repos.d’   and
       ‘/etc/yum/repos.d’).    See  the  reposdir  option  below  for  further
       details.

PARAMETERS
       There are two types of sections in the yum configuration file(s):  main
       and  repository.  Main  defines all global configuration options. There
       should be only one main section. The repository section(s)  define  the
       configuration  for  each repository/server. There should be one or more
       repository sections.

[main] OPTIONS
       The [main] section must exist for yum to do anything.  It  consists  of
       the following options:
Thanks for all your help so far.

Last edited by Ninju; 26th September 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 15th October 2007, 04:10 AM
david6477 Offline

I had the same problem. What I did to get it to work...

Ninju,

I don't know if you are still looking for a solution to this or not, but I thought putting my answer in might help someone else if you don't need it anymore.

I too had the same problem as you. I had the exact same failed dependencies. I have a 64 bit system rather than a 32bit system, and this is where the problem lies. I, however, am running Fedora 7, but the concept is still the same.

Some applications don't like a 64-bit system yet. They expect 32-bits. Seems Skype is one of these. All of your 64-bit libraries are installed in /usr/lib64/, but skype doesn't know to look there (as has been established in this thread). It's looking in /usr/lib/, which is where all of your 32-bit libraries are. Even linking the libraries in /usr/lib64 as you did doesn't work. I tried the same thing. The skype rpm probably looks in /usr/lib/, sees the libraries, but doesn't know how to understand them, as they are for a 64bit system. So, it says it can't find the libraries, and you and I get the error.

So, the solution is to install the 32-bit version of all the dependencies! I choose to do this via the KDE application called Add/Remove Software (go to KDE start icon -> System, it's at the top of the menu) because I am no expert at using yum, and I do know that if you don't get the name just right (I think even including version), yum doesn't install anything. I think this is what happened when you tried to install qt4-X11.i386 via yum. I don't think the name was correct, so it didn't find any packages to install.

First, you should probably remove the links that you created in /usr/lib, just to be sure. Then, move on to what I did in order to get skype to work.

Anyway, in the Add/Remove Software screen (after entering the root password), I clicked on the Search tab in the middle, and typed in "Qt" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. It finds ALOT of packages. Scroll down to qt4. You'll notice that you probably have some already installed (will have green check marks by them). They will probably all end in .x86_64. This means the 64bit version is installed. What skype needs is the ones that end in .i386. these are the 32-bit versions. So, for Qt, I needed to install "qt4 - 4.3.1-3.fc7.i386" and "qt4-X11 - 4.3.1-3.fc7.i386". I imagine that yours would look similiar, except fc7 will probably be fc5. The point, though, is that you need to install the i386 versions of qt4 and qt4-X11. Click on the empty boxes next to these packages, and click Apply to install them. This takes care of all the libQt failed dependencies.

To install the 32-bit version of libsigc, go back to the Search tab again, and type in "libsigc", again, without the quotes. This list is a lot smaller than the Qt list. I installed both "libsigc++ - 1.2.7-4.fc6.i386" and "libsigc++20 - 2.0.17-2.i386". I think we only need the 2.0 one, but I'm paranoid, I suppose... Once again, yours will probably look different, but the object is to install the i386 version of libsigc++ that has a version of 2.0.x on it. Install it by check marking it, and clicking Apply.

Now, if you choose, you can look in /usr/lib, and you will see all the files that skype had complained about not being able to find. From here, I ran the skype rpm without a problem, and skype itself runs beautifully!

I hope this helps! Someone else, if they choose, could tell us how we could have done this by the command line using yum. I've just found it insanely easier to use Add/Remove Software when I don't know the actual name of something that I am installing.

Cheers!
Old 16th June 2009, 12:49 PM
Hodgeheg Offline

Fedora (11) 64-bit command-line install for the 32-bit packages
yum install libsigc++ libsigc++.i586 qt.i586 qt
Install skype

HTH

Tags
dependencies, failed, fc5, skype