Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th September 2007, 02:45 PM
ruj.sabya Offline

Fedora 6 x86_64 on dv6516tx

Hi,
Has anybody installed any version of Fedora in HP dv6516TX?

When I am trying to install on it the FC 6 (x86_64), it is just ending up with dark/blank screen.

This happens when the installer is trying to start X server after loading anaconda.

The configuration is:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (1.5 GHz/2MB Cache/667MHZ FSB)
2 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
15.4" 1280x800
Intel ABG Wireless w/Bluetooth
LightScribe Super-Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
Webcam/Mic/Fingerprint-Reader
6-cell battery
Windows Vista Home Premium

I tried with these boot options:-
NOAPIC NOAPCI NOLAPIC NOIRQPOLL NOSMP

But nothing happend better!

In another forum:-
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi....php?p=2897688
I was told to try with fn+function keys(F1,..F7, etc) to toggle the LCD display.
But that too did not help.

Any idea how do I get this Fedora work on my laptop?
Old 26th September 2007, 03:13 PM
FriedChips Offline

I could only say that laptop support is much better if you install fedora 7 as it comes with a much newer kernel. also you may find that it is much easier to work with i386 than 64-bit, and you will not see much improvement with performance on 64-bit, unless you do some heavy digital video editing. If you have a good internet connection, download the f7 live i386 and give that a run.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 26th September 2007, 03:44 PM
ruj.sabya Offline

Can you give some hints that how i386 will be better than x86_64?
I want to use this for development.
Is it better to keep 64 bit then?
So that I can have all the option to compile for 32 bit as well as 64 bit?
Old 26th September 2007, 07:44 PM
FriedChips Offline

the i386 version is just easier as far as getting things like flash, java, wireless, drivers etc. to work. Also the 64-bit version uses a LOT more memory, and alot more harddrive space. The reason for this being that not all programs are available in 64-bit at this point so in order to run them you need to have the corresponding 32-bit dependancies. Therefore you will find that for many libs you will need 2 versions to be installed 32 and 64-bit. For example if you want flash you will have to use firefox 32-bit ( because there is no 64-bit flash available and the plugin will not work in 64-bit ) so you have to have the 32-bit libraries that it depends on as well.

If you NEED it to do 64-bit compiling, these issues can be worked out decently it is just much more troublesome than using 32-bit at this point. I hear good things about 64-bit fedora 8 coming up, so fedora 8 test 2 may be the best thing for you right now. Read some posts and reviews about it here on the forum. Be prepared to run into some possible problems, as it is a development version, and is not finished. If you don't mind waiting for it to release ( October 8th think ) you can run 32-bit for now and reinstall when it comes. It's all up to you. I suggest you do some reading too about fedora 7 x86-64.

I myself have 2 64-bit computers but I run 32-bit fedora on both, just seems easier and more solid.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate

Tags
dv6516tx, fedora, x8664