Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th October 2007, 11:10 PM
LinuxTom Offline

Talking Of Compiz, Beryl, and Compiz-Fusion

Just a question?

What is the real reason for using Compiz, Beryl, and Compiz-Fusion?

I realize that they are pretty cool to play with, and some people surely put a great deal of hard work into coding them, but honestly, why do people want to run software like this constantly?

Could it be something to show their Aero'ed Vista buddies, that Linux can be all spiffy too?

I have played with them quite a bit, and while they can jump through hoops, do handstands, and the like, the only feature that I find of any real use is the desktop cube, and I can't justify the resource drain, and general flakiness for that feature alone.

Mind you, I'm not bashing anything, I'm just curious as to whether there is any real benefit to running such software, and that would include the Windows Vista Areo interface as well.
Old 6th October 2007, 11:38 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

High heels on ladies, two seater convertible sports cars, Christmas lights, Hulla hoops, Rubik's cubes, salad forks and drinking straws are all essentially useless too, I guess.. But I wouldn't want to live in a world without them.

Dan
Old 6th October 2007, 11:41 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
Here is my paltry $ 0.02
Q.
What is the most important part of the Computer ... for most users ?
A.
Probably the monitor / display (what they see)

The "cooler" it looks the more attractive it is to users.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 6th October 2007, 11:56 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

agreed with Dan and Seve (getting my suck-up points in) but I find functionality in Compiz-Fusion. I love the shift switcher and to a lesser extent the tile functions. I always use the transparency and magnification features. The task bar preview is useful. Beyond that though, yeah, it is all eyecandy. But fire writing? How cool is that! I love the screensaver, I got it set to show the cube and with the atlantis plugin it is just cool. Could I live without it? No! No I couldnt, no more than I would want to live without my cordless mouse, my lcd monitor or xmms. It is all part of the experience and I now find non-beryl/compiz-fusion equipped computers to be drab and boring. And yeah, I get the occasional person with no Linux knowledge in my office and the usual reaction to compiz-fusion eyecandy is a dropped jaw and stunned glaze to their eyes. And I have resources to spare so it is all good.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:11 AM
spot221 Offline

Hi,

I really like using the mouse movments to switch to apps on different desktops it helps me finish my projects faster and keep my self organized( for me at least). I have not found beryl to be flakey on my system (yet). I agree with tanledweb as well .
Old 7th October 2007, 12:20 AM
FriedChips Offline

The magnification, the general eye candy, the cube, and the reaction on windoze patients....

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 7th October 2007, 12:46 AM
LinuxTom Offline

IMHO I like TangledWeb's respone the best...

I do believe I already had some idea that most responses would lean toward, eye candy. Like I said, it surely is fun to play with, and looks really cool, but it dosen't seem to serve a point but to amuse me for a bit, then I shurt'er down.

As to being flaky, Beryl, had a really bad tendency to loose borders frequently on my machine, Compiz-Fusion has worked fine though.

I have a fairly recent machine, at least Microsoft Vista checkers seem to thing so, lol, only problem I have is the ole' NV GF FX5200, so I don't have perfect rendering speed with only 128 on the vcard. But oh well, still amusing to play with Compiz from time to time.
Old 7th October 2007, 03:53 AM
schwim Offline

I'm always a sucker for the cool looking stuff, but in my experience, it's not stable enough to use every day. I shut it down after probably 15 minutes. I'll check it out again in a year or so to see if it's usable.

thanks,
json

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 7th October 2007, 05:32 PM
Boris Cat Offline

I use it all the time, mainly because I have 8 faces on the cube, each one running something or other I need all the time and it provides a quick and flashy way to spin to a new desktop

Of course on my other fedora box , it cant run beryl (too old/slow) so I make do with the normal workspace switcher....

But I like it simply for the eyecandy effects and it does'nt slow my pc down at all

Boris
Old 7th October 2007, 07:45 PM
sej7278 Offline

i agree with tom completely, i've tried compiz and beryl and don't use either anymore on my desktops, and only use the cube on my laptop as its easier to flick between desktops using the keyboard than the crappy touchpad.

compiz issues i've seen in fc6 and f7:

1. maximised window overlaps onto the next desktop to the right.

2. you maximise a window and only the frame is maximised and the window contents stays at the smaller size, which sometimes even crashes the app.

3. the workspace switcher applet gets totally screwed up with desktop effects enabled, even if you set it to one big workspace it still doesn't draw the icons or thumbnails properly.

beryl issues:

1. the window list thumbnails appear sometimes under or over the tooltip that says what the application name is - if you use titles in the thumbnails then there should be a way to turn off the tooltip

2. when you remove the sticky/up-under/rollup buttons from the top-left of the window, why can you still mouseover the area where they were and get their tooltips and still be able to click them - shouldn't they be gone instead of just not displaying their icon?!

3. frankly it all runs too slowly for me - surely the gfx card should be handling most of the load, and not the cpu? i'd rather vmware or gcc suck up my cpu usage than wobbly windows.

i've got a feeling these might be fedora issues, as a friend with a lower-spec gentoo box has none of these issues, and i've had them on about five different fedora boxes.
Old 7th October 2007, 07:53 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278
i've got a feeling these might be fedora issues, as a friend with a lower-spec gentoo box has none of these issues, and i've had them on about five different fedora boxes.
I have none of these issues, on Fedora or anything else, so not sure what's up with your setup/s.

I run Beryl full time, no slowdowns, no stability issues or bugs here.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:20 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
I have none of these issues, on Fedora or anything else, so not sure what's up with your setup/s.

I run Beryl full time, no slowdowns, no stability issues or bugs here.
Yeah well, I guess it is like everything else, if it doesnt work for you then it must be trash or broken, or unstable or buggy or whatever. Personally, I havent had any problems with Beryl or Compiz-Fusion from day one. It is quick, extremely stable, works great and doesnt tax my system to any noticable extent. As my buddy Hunter used to say, works for me...
Old 8th October 2007, 04:10 AM
schwim Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Yeah well, I guess it is like everything else, if it doesnt work for you then it must be trash or broken, or unstable or buggy or whatever. ...

Or as you infer, if it works for you then the rest of the crowd just isn't doing it right

With today's choices of hardware and varying versions of applications floating around, there is quite a tolerance stack up. There is a very good possibility that what works for one may not work for another.

within 5 minutes without any fiddling with it, beryl had somehow created hundreds of virtual desktops across my bottom status bar. Later and again without any changes to the default install, it decided to remove my status bar completely when I double-clicked my home folder.

We could call this stable, but some might beg to differ.

thanks,
json

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 8th October 2007, 06:02 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Yeah, you are right of course. I know just what you mean. Within 5 minutes of driving my Ferrari off the lot I pressed the accelerator down and the stupid car shot across two lanes of oncoming traffic totally out of control and ran smack into a motorcycle cop. Stupid Ferraris, I sure hope they worked that bug out! I will never buy another one, that is for sure!
Old 8th October 2007, 07:22 AM
Cue Offline

I don't use it myself, but I'm glad it's there, it's an awesome project.