Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 8th October 2007, 07:41 AM
mistergoodbytes Offline

People who will never use Linux

Okay, I just spent the last 2 hours embarrassing myself. I had a couple/friends sort of turned off by the whole Windows Vista bit, to whom I has mentioned that I'm playing with (have not necessarily adopted yet) Linux. I have a Fedora 7 install DVD and CD, both of which work fine, pass all of the install media checks and I get a keyboard class windows error (whatever that is) when installing. I tried with four (count 'em) keyboards, disabled everything keyboard related in the BIOS and still get the same cryptic error. The really sad thing here is that I used a Windows XP CD and Windows 98 floppy disk to wipe the hard drive prior to (attempting) to install Linux and the keyboard worked fine...it even works fine in the opening stages of Fedora Linux installation (up to the point where it requires the user to identify the keyboard).

I'm not necessarily talking to the people wearing Spock ears here, but to the people hoping to make a commercially viable product: add 2 more to the list of people who will never use Linux, and add one who will keep his Linux dabbling a dirty little secret all to himself (I will not be volunteering to embarrass my self in public again).
Old 8th October 2007, 07:45 AM
Wayne

Fedora/Linux is not meant to be a commercial product. Anyway, the developers do not monitor these forums. If you need help with the keyboard problem, feel free to start a thread. If you want to file a bug report then do so in the proper channels. If you just want a rant, be prepared for the repercussions

Edit. As there was no support question, I've moved this thread to 'Wibble'

Wayne
Old 8th October 2007, 08:39 AM
clearer Offline

The fact of the matter remains that Linux is the kernel which supports the most hardware and CPUs out of the box -- It is very unlikely that Linux itself does not support these keyboards and if that's the problem, it's very likely that these keyboards are non-standard. I.e. they did something wrong. Make and model, please.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:54 AM
mistergoodbytes Offline

I started with the PS2 generic keyboard which came with the system (it works, I tested it on another system), moved to my PS2 keyboard (originally sold as a component of an HP Pavilion), one more PS2 from my computer graveyard and one USB that I tried out of desperation. This is an installer bug pure and simple...as I noted, it worked until the installer tried to 'help' identifying my keyboard. Of course, if it was an installer option NOT to be 'helped' I would have elected that option.

Also, I speak good enough Spanish to manage attempting installing by selecting that language and it did get another few steps along before crashing. Let me ask, seriously, how many Windows users would (for real) even TRY to install in another language to avoid an installer crash?
Old 8th October 2007, 01:15 PM
FriedChips Offline

the fact of the matter is it is probably some obscure problem with the motherboard controllers and has nothing to do with the keyboard, the best thing you could possibly do is file a bug report at bugzilla. That's how the developers learn of problems that need to be fixed, posting here does no good. I have never experienced anything what you are describing so I cannot offer much help. The make and model of your computer/motherboard would be a necessity in your bug report, from there you can monitor the report at bugzilla and then you will know when it is fixed. It would have been much better for you if you had done so earlier so hopefully the patch would have been released with fedora 8, but I fear it is prolly too late now. You could try downloading the fedora 8 test 3 and see if the problem has already been fixed. Also it is worth trying the fedora 7 liveCD.

As has been hinted at, fedora/linux is not intended for your average windows junkie. Most ppl like stuff that just works and don't care to understand how or why. I on the other hand want to know how and why everything works, so I don't mind fighting it tooth and nail, quite the learning experience LOL.

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 8th October 2007, 01:16 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergoodbytes
Let me ask, seriously, how many Windows users would (for real) even TRY to install in another language to avoid an installer crash?
How mane Windows users you know who have ever actually installed an operating system of any kind?
Old 8th October 2007, 01:17 PM
FriedChips Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967
How mane Windows users you know who have ever actually installed an operating system of any kind?
pure truth my friend

Code:
Old 8th October 2007, 04:39 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Obviously, the keyboard problem is not a very common issue, or how would we be responding?
There has to be some sort of problem with the install disc itself or the hardware you are using it on. Don't just assume a bug...
Use a LiveCD to verify that the hardware can run linux before installing...

Quote:
A windows user should wipe and re-install the OS at least 1-2 times a year as a regular maintenance task...otherwise the computer will be useless. I can't tell how many times I have stopped people from buying a new computer , when their old machine was merely virus and malware infected....and only needed a re-install and some instruction in a maintenance program.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 8th October 2007, 04:45 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Do you have a BIOS setting which will enable or disable older USB keyboard support? (Sometimes called "Legacy" USB keyboard support.)

Dan
Old 8th October 2007, 06:56 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

Quote:
I'm playing with (have not necessarily adopted yet) Linux.
Ok...
Quote:
I have a Fedora 7 install DVD and CD, both of which work fine, pass all of the install media checks and I get a keyboard class windows error (whatever that is) when installing.
Hmm...
Quote:
add one who will keep his Linux dabbling a dirty little secret all to himself
Wait a second...how can you be "dabbling" and "playing" with Linux if you can't even get it installed? Don't worry, I'll give you a chance to clarify your story.
By the way, "the PS2 generic keyboard" is not a make or model.

Anyway, millions of users around the world (even newbies and Windows refugees) are able to install Fedora with actual keyboards. But don't let that stop you from thinking that Linux is not "viable".
Quote:
Let me ask, seriously, how many Windows users would (for real) even TRY to install in another language to avoid an installer crash?
Heh, I doubt most Windows users even know how to install Windows.
Old 8th October 2007, 07:56 PM
mdlinuxwolf Offline

Exclamation Keyboard

Sometimes, it is best to just get a standard USB keyboard, nothing weird or fancy. If that doesn't work or light up, switch it to another USB port. Occassionly, one just has to shut down the machine and start over. I would suggest using the live CD to test Fedora's behavior on your hardware. Not all flavors of Linux get along with all combinations of hardware. The same is true of Windows.

Try another flavor of Linux such as Simply Mepis, SuSE or Mandriva, if Fedora absolutely will not work. Windows just isn't secure enough for the typical user, who may not understand security.

Having said that, Fedora is the best looking and most straight forward version of Linux that I have tried so far although Simply Mepis comes close.... without the good looks or .rpm capabilities.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:48 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedChips
As has been hinted at, fedora/linux is not intended for your average windows junkie. Most ppl like stuff that just works and don't care to understand how or why. I on the other hand want to know how and why everything works, so I don't mind fighting it tooth and nail, quite the learning experience LOL.
Very well said. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor
A windows user should wipe and re-install the OS at least 1-2 times a year as a regular maintenance task...otherwise the computer will be useless. I can't tell how many times I have stopped people from buying a new computer , when their old machine was merely virus and malware infected....and only needed a re-install and some instruction in a maintenance program.
Perhaps I need to re-install my XP. It has a nasty habit of hanging up and accessing the hard drive for minutes at a time while your waiting to use the net. On the other hand I work on some peoples machines that have never been re-installed and windows works great. I usually keep my system - Windows side of it - adware and spyware free so it works great except for that problem I mentioned.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 9th October 2007, 12:38 AM
Cue Offline

2 hours? Try 2 weeks. I don't quit that easy. I guess the keyboard not working is pretty major since you can't even use the system, but I had my problems and I didn't stop. If people I'd helped with this stuff complained and would say it's no good and they wanted windows back, well I'd say they were on their own. But if a simple keyboard had failed on me I probably would have gone out to the local store and gotten some $10 one just for spite.

Although honestly, it could also be the motherboard stuff.
Old 9th October 2007, 05:56 PM
FriedChips Offline

have you tried booting with this option

i8042.nomux

???

Code:
Old 10th October 2007, 05:37 AM
mdlinuxwolf Offline

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197
Very well said. Thank you!

Perhaps I need to re-install my XP. It has a nasty habit of hanging up and accessing the hard drive for minutes at a time while your waiting to use the net. On the other hand I work on some peoples machines that have never been re-installed and windows works great. I usually keep my system - Windows side of it - adware and spyware free so it works great except for that problem I mentioned.
Perhaps this is off topic, but if you must dual boot with Windows there is a good backup and restore program. It is called Live One Care. Each one can work with up to 3 machines that are 32 bit clients in either Vista or XP. I'm not sure about 2000. It has an excellent backup utility that is best used with an external hard drive. You could just uninstall Live One Care, wipe out the O/S and restore all your data to a clean install. It is pretty slow, however.

I would also suggest doing an online virus scan from trend micro once in an while to get a "second opinion" and capture something that your own security suite may have missed.

Personally, I like the server better, even if not all of its abilities are used. It is easy to find 2000 advanced server for reasonable prices online that are legal. Yes, sound and games work as do printers, without as many reboots. Use MacAfee's file server AV to protect it, with a minimum of 2 licenses. The clients are all a little flaky, in my opinion.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Microsof...n_PC_C10_00010

AV

http://www.mcafee.com/us/small/produ...ction_smb.html

Of course, using Fedora or even Red Hat server is far easier. Nevertheless, it is a good thing to see how the other side lives. I normally use Linux for day to day activities.