Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th October 2007, 09:33 AM
NotPasteurized Offline

Talking Memory upgrade fore old systems

I've got it the way of accessing ROM to use as ram like a swap but faster like the speed of ram and with the method of use as ram has so no need to bother with a new system.
To begin you need a gigabyte Ethernet and a ROM based cf card reader and a cf card of desired size.
Attach as normal all the parts and then before starting your system edit the card reader using a bios load up firmware editor to say power-0=qformat note that this is different in all card readers so only to be used as a possible solution and is not likely to work on many devices.
then using the same tool set a extra line of text in the Ethernet device that gives a directory of a swap command, you may find other solutions to this such as if you don't care about loosing space on the cf a swap may be added to it instead.
Finally you can start the system and make sure that all the drivers are in place.
I make no guarantee and even though it worked on my system it needs more testing, but that seed I have 512mb of ram and a pentium core duo processor with fedora 7 running and all seems fine now that I added a 4gb cf card.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:56 AM
b_martinez Offline

Just out of curiousity, how will the constant read/write to the cf disk hold up? I was under the impression that the constant writing to a flash drive will shorten the life of the drive. Will this happen to the cf disk?
Bill
Old 9th October 2007, 11:25 AM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_martinez
Just out of curiousity, how will the constant read/write to the cf disk hold up? I was under the impression that the constant writing to a flash drive will shorten the life of the drive. Will this happen to the cf disk?
Bill
Others - more knowlegeable on this than I am - discussed this in a thread on using flash memory as a hard drive, though I can't trace the thread at the moment. Obviously not using the right search terms - see my sig. !
From memory I think it was concluded that a normal flash drive was good for ca. 5000 read/write cycles, but don't quote me.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:38 PM
Zero-Override Offline

well that's not a lot =/ even ancient 20GB E-IDE drives got 40-50k cycles =/

and a downside about it is the writespeed, since it is quite a bit lower, the read speeds are a lot higher which is good though

one tip if you are going to use this, investigate a bit about the read/write speeds of the cf-card you are going to get
Old 10th October 2007, 06:06 AM
NotPasteurized Offline

A source informed me that the same effect I was going fore is in use with les programing skill using a Sata or even a 3.5 in hard-drive with a fire-wire attached.
so dont waste to much time or cf cards pleas
Old 10th October 2007, 12:22 PM
Zero-Override Offline

well actually, the read speeds aren't as high, and also, almost the smallest drive you can buy today is 80GB.... that's one f'n HUGE swapfile plus the expenses are higher
Old 10th October 2007, 12:48 PM
leadgolem Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the train
Others - more knowlegeable on this than I am - discussed this in a thread on using flash memory as a hard drive, though I can't trace the thread at the moment. Obviously not using the right search terms - see my sig. !
From memory I think it was concluded that a normal flash drive was good for ca. 5000 read/write cycles, but don't quote me.
I believe this is the thread you are referring to.
Old 10th October 2007, 05:30 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadgolem
I believe this is the thread you are referring to.
Yes, that's the one.

Tags
fore, memory, systems, upgrade