<---- template headericclude ----->
please share your USB stick-linux install success stories!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please share your USB stick-linux install success stories!

hi there guys,

I found pendrivelinux, but they use batch files that don't explain what you're doing, and I can't seem to get any of them working properly. Knoppix was the closest for me, and it was a crippled bootup, stating that it couldn't find all the files.

Would you guys be so kind as to share flavors, links to installation instructions, if available and any problems you ran into when trying it out?

thanks,
    json
    I read the f'ing manual, and it told me to ask you guys...
    performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got pendrivelinux working, and they have a few drive images from other distros as well, already prepared to boot. I don't remember exactly but this is very clear about it: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/05...rial/#more-219
    about as simple as knowing the flash drive dev path, a dd clone command from the img to the drive. and then boot it, assuming the bios is already set to boot from usb.
    leaf!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, have a look here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
    I just setup Fedora 7 Live on my 4GB USB stick. All I did was backup all the files on the stick and followed Thomas Chung's directoins. No formatting beforehand. No problems with the disk partition being marked bootable. Nothing. Followed the instructions and rebooted. I'm running off of the USB stick live image now. I swear it's faster than a hard disk install, and it booted REAL fast. Desktop in no time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there glennzo, and thanks for the awesome link!

I'm not currently on a linux computer, so I'll have to wait until I get home to do it. I very much look forward to trying it!

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    Hey, thanks for the link.

So everything saves and updates normally, as it does when installed to a hard drive?
    Gimp Chat | Gimp Scripts | Gimp Tutorials

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'.
    Oops. Wrong One.
    'Do it yourself'. Yeah, that's it. - Linus Torvalds

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetwiz
    Hey, thanks for the link.

So everything saves and updates normally, as it does when installed to a hard drive?
    Apparently not, and that's exactly what brought me back to this post. Matter of fact I'm using the USB Live version now. I booted the USB stick this morning and made a few config changes. The first thing I did was to add myself as a user and setup sudo for my user. Also installed gconf-editor and made a few other minor changes. Upon reboot I see that none of those changes were permanent. I'm right back to square one so I'm wondering how to make everything stick. Obviously I need to search this forum and do some googling.

Edit: So, while I'm searching for the answer on how to make the changes 'stick' for subsequent boots, anyone know what I need to do?
    Last edited by glennzo; 12th October 2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Glennzo,

I was going to ask the same thing ... Bummer on that, as a USB stick install that has amnesia is about as useful as a kick in the goolies....

I picked up a 4 gig stick during our trip back home for under $40(yay!) but so far, all of our choices in overnight lodging have blocked my attempts to download F7, so it looks like I'll be buying it at CheapBytes.

Of course, I won't have to do that if we can't figure out how to get it to remember session/application changes

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I assumed that would be the case. Looked like the procedure outlined just allowed you to boot the Live CD from a USB flash. What is needed is a true install to flash drive. Not sure how fast running off a flash drive might be but my guess would be fairly slow.

Puppy Linux gets around this by doing everything in ram via a ram drive and then saving the ram drive image, with all the changes, back to the flash drive on exit.
    Gimp Chat | Gimp Scripts | Gimp Tutorials

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'.
    Oops. Wrong One.
    'Do it yourself'. Yeah, that's it. - Linus Torvalds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me bump this thread to the top of the list temporarily by asking if anyone in this forum knows if it's possible to boot Fedora 7 Gnome Live from a USB stick AND be able to save any and all configuration changes permanently? If it's possible then would it be practical? It would be really neat (not to mention pretty handy) to be able to carry your own custom Fedora 7 setup in your pocket and boot any computer with it.