Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 18th October 2007, 08:57 PM
larryc06 Offline

Question iptables definitions are needed not on google

I am looking for a place that has all the definitions for the iptables modules. I have googled for days not using every combination I can think of. If anyone out there knows of such a place, that is besides the ones in the man pages, I would like to know of it.
Thank you for your time and patients
Old 18th October 2007, 09:22 PM
stevea Offline

Do you mean loadable kernel modules ? None I think.
You can build a kernel with no stack at all (OKi haven't tried recently but ...)
You can build a stack with certain peripheral parts supported only as lkm's.
You cannot build the stack as a module and I don't believe you need anything
else in kernel-land implement iptables.

The userland program 'iptables' is dependent on a boatload of libraries and files
(type 'rpm -ql iptables' for a list) but basically it opens a socket and performs some
cosmic ioctl calls to insert/delete the tables.

My patients are fine and recovering nicely ;^)
Old 18th October 2007, 10:49 PM
Brian1 Offline

Actually it is called netfilter in the kernel itself. So check this link out.
http://www.netfilter.org/
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/
http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/

Brian
Old 19th October 2007, 11:22 PM
larryc06 Offline

Thanks all. I am interested in knowing what each of the choices, built-in or module, means and exactly what it does, That means the scope of its' use.
Thanks Brian.
Old 20th October 2007, 02:08 PM
Brian1 Offline

there is not really a place for every type of module for netfilter in a single place. the kernel docs and changelogs provide some info but some items are not well documented. There is a group working on the kernel docs and getting it updated and easier to search. Not sure of their status. One other way is contact the deveolpers of netfilter and ask them exactly what something does or point you to some docs.

Brian
Old 20th October 2007, 06:36 PM
larryc06 Offline

I will do that, that is to conntack netfilter. I also just thought I am going to look up the source code of each and see it I can gain some understanding that way.
Thanks again Brian.

Tags
definitions, google, iptables, needed