Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th October 2007, 08:43 AM
fednw Offline

eth0 device activation fails

Hi,
I have Fedora 7 installed on my desktop. I want to share a dialup internet connection coming on my winxp laptop with fedora. So I gave static address of 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 subnet mask to winxp laptop and then i configured fedora to get ip address automatically through dhcp, i also ticked the get dns servers automatically option. Now when I restart fedora with the cable plugged in it tries for sometime on activation of eth0 device step, and fails ... later when i try to activate eth0 without restarting it fails again ... could anybody let me know what the problem is or if i am making any mistakes. Thanks a lot.
Old 25th October 2007, 09:51 PM
Zigzagcom Offline

The problem is that you need a DHCP server service running on the laptop. I am certain that XP doesn't provide that service. You should just give the Fedora machine a static IP and configure DNS servers as well. If you feel adventuress, you could download a stand alone dhcp server and install it on your laptop, then run it as a service...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/

Check the ReadMe file and the DualServer.ini file for configuration help. It might be a good idea to check the "ipconfig /all" command on your XP laptop while connected to the internet via dialup, as dns addresses assigned may change frequently...i.e., check to see if the dns addresses stay the same for you. Further, can you actually still connect to the internet with a static IP on your laptop via dial up?

Check the google link too:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Last edited by Zigzagcom; 25th October 2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 26th October 2007, 04:28 AM
fednw Offline

Thanks ZigZagCom,
I will try getting the dhcp-dns server. I have Ubuntu 7.04 on my laptop and with WinXP running on my desktop I am able to share internet connection with ubuntu (the dialup connection is now on the desktop), so I am a bit doubtful as I don't remember installing any dhcp server on my desktop.

I tried the static addresses thing, it shows that network is up, i can ping each of the machines from the other but, I am not able to access internet on Fedora(desktop). I set SELinux policies as permissive and switched off windows firewall just in case, but no luck.

Anyways I will try your suggestions and let you know. Thanks a lot.

Tags
activation, device, eth0, fails