Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th October 2007, 10:39 PM
berlos Offline

exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !

Hi, can someone help me ? when i was doing a restart i got power failure on my house and then when i power on my laptop i get this
kernel panic.....exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!! no such file or directory
I have fedora 7

thanks
Carlos Silva
Old 26th October 2007, 11:04 PM
stevea Online

Yeah - the Linux bootup is a complex thing. The kernel starts off a ram disk (the initrd image) and then it switches to the hard disk system and, once mounted, it tries to run /sbin/init ((actually the kernel code tries several things like /linuxrc and others.

My hunch is that your file system is messed up a bit. The /boot directory (probably on a separate file system) seems OK, but the root filr system "/" isn't.

Boot the fedora7 installation dvd ans select rescue more. See if it will mount your root file system. If so look for the file /sbin/init. If not look at running fsck from the dvd.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:10 PM
berlos Offline

thanks for respond stevea i have run the installation dvd on rescue mode and you i see all my files now....i see the file init and now ?

thanks
Carlos Silva
Old 27th October 2007, 03:52 AM
stevea Online

Huh so the file system is OK ?

I still think you should do a fsck on the root file system (in an unmounted state).
Old 29th October 2007, 02:10 PM
berlos Offline

hi stevea thanks again for the post.....after the rescue installation my system was mount in /mnt/sysimage....i see my files but cant do chroot /mnt/sysimage he said /bin/sh no such file or directory and the result of fsck was clean...then i try fsck -f and the result was 14.6% non-contiguous.....what can i do more ? i really need the system to work and its urgent

thanks again
Carlos Silva
Old 25th June 2008, 10:28 PM
bongdotcom Offline

I have the same problem which also stuck in this stage. Does anyone can solve this issue?

I also tried to copy the initrd from other server, but the kernel panic after they tried to uncompress the initrd.
Old 14th December 2008, 07:26 AM
kovshenin Offline

Anyone got this fixed? I'm having the same issue with Fedora 10... When I boot the live cd my old filesystem mounts to /media/- and I get a /bin/bash not found when I try to chroot to /media/-

Thanks.
Old 24th March 2010, 08:22 AM
ksivaji2000 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!!

Hi Steve

Me also facing the same problem ...... have you rectified it?
if u have rectified please share that issue
Shiva

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM CDT ----------

Hi, can someone help me ? when i was doing a restart i got power failure on my house and then when i power on my laptop i get this
kernel panic.....exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!! no such file or directory
I have CentOS 5

thanks
Shiva

Tags
exec, failed, init, or sbin or init