Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th December 2007, 06:03 AM
aniketv Offline

Hello all,
I just wanted to know, if anyone has had succeeded in using skype v1.4 or v2.0beta with pulseaudio, and if yes how!
Because I had lotsa troubles with skype and pulse, rest all was working fine(mplayer,xine etc) . So I have disabled pulse currently, but i wanna use desperately coz i need to switch between snd cards frequently( BT headset and Onboard soundcard) , so pulse Is what I need !!!
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:46 PM
ahvi Offline

For anybody having problems with sound in VLC, make sure /usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-sink.so is displayed in Settings>Preferences>Audio>Output Modules>EsounD>Esound server
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:59 PM
cable_txg Offline

I do have PulseAudio working fine for me. When installing FC4 - FC8 I believe I had to set my group to also belong to sound(PulseAudio in FC8). Here's my id:
uid=500(Cable_txg) gid=500(Cable_txg) groups=100(users),495(pulse-access),497(pulse),500(Cable_txg) context=system_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0

Also from System->Administration->Users and Groups click on properties for any user name and under "Groups" tab, click on pulse and pulse-access to include user in that group.

Hope that works....

Laptop: Intel i7, Geforce GT 425M, Blu-Ray :D
Laptop: Amd64 X2, Geforce Go 7600 Intel Core 2 Duo, Geforce 8600M GT
Desktop: :mad: Thanks Windows Vista! R.I.P. Sept. 2007 :mad:
Old 27th January 2008, 08:06 PM
elvenhack Offline

Fedora 8 pulse audio as a system-wide daemon

For anybody trying to get Fedora 8 to run as a system-wide deamon as opposed to only starting up when someone logs into an X-server (ex: I'm setting up my machine as a headless jukebox, so I want to be able to ssh into it and start a song using mpg/ogg123 on the command line) here was the last crucial step for me. I'm sure this somehow bad for security but at least it works.

Go into /etc/pulse/default.pa and comment out the line
load-module module-x11-publish.

After doing this I was able to successfully run the following command as root:

# pulseaudio --system -D

Good luck!
Old 14th February 2008, 01:03 PM
escapeflowne Offline

i have this problem with sound->in general pulseaudio plays sound fine. but after some reboots i hear no sound and when i run alsamixer in terminal it says pulseaudio:connection refused. the only solution i found was either remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio or rm -rf /tmp/pulse-username as root ,pulseaudio -k and pulseaudio -D. so my question is -are these solutions real solutions or am i missing a simple trick ? i have consolekit and avahi-daemon running.
Old 14th February 2008, 09:25 PM
strikeforce Offline

Console Kit is supposed to fix that since it is supposed to be giving you permissions.

The actual error comes from /tmp/pulse-username

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide
Old 24th February 2008, 02:23 AM
jnissly Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
Sigh, sound. I'll just say, remember, Fedora is considered a bleeding edge distro. Yeah, it should Just Work(TM) but when I get ticked, I tell myself, well, it's not one of those distros that aims to try to be an MS replacement.

Personally, I feel that even ALSA was an answer to a question no one asked, but, that's a rant for a different day. OSS worked with less effort.

Anyway, here is my experience. Firstly, sound has been broken for some people as non-root for awhile. The usual solution, leaving pulseaudio out of the equation, is to edit /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-whatever it's called, and add

<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

Then, at the bottom add

<console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root

This fixes the non-root issue if pulseaudio isn't involved.

Thank you for posting this, it did the trick for me. I used to have to chown /dev/snd every time I booted.
Old 16th March 2008, 04:25 PM
bluestone Offline

Wink

For my issue (no sound in Nexuiz: crime). I found some great tips from the links on this page regarding sound:

http://jaymzworld.com/pages/inspiron.shtml

for me, he was right, only -- system-config-soundcard just needed the box unchecked regarding alsa being non-hardware specific.

I think...

Anyway, sound is working now.
I'll be shooting you all soon in Nexuiz!

bluestone
Old 28th May 2008, 09:22 AM
shweta Offline

I have the same problem. There's no sound, root or no root. Also pulse audio crashes. And when I try editting the etc/security file it says no privileges to do such a thing.
Old 29th May 2008, 07:48 AM
escapeflowne Offline

1>what is the output of /sbin/lspci -v|grep -i audio ?
2>try removing the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio ?
3>try removing the /tmp/pulse-<username> folder,then pulseaudio -D.
4>if all else fails try mounting tmpfs on /tmp ?
Old 16th January 2009, 04:08 AM
Dr.Lee Offline

Hi all,

I seem to have the same problem as you guys. For me, there's no sound, root or no root.
Did anyone succeeded in using skype 1.4? I hope someone can help me. I've been looking for an answer for quite a while now but it never seemed to work.Simulation pret immobilier

Thanks all!
Old 16th January 2009, 06:40 AM
JohnVV Offline

as far as i know skype dose not work with pulse on fedora 8 ,may have been fixed in fedora 9 or 10 .or just remove pulse and reinstall alsa -- before the servers are taken offline ( 8 hit End of Life on jan 7)

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 8th April 2009, 11:22 PM
Gabyrpg Offline

Awesome post, thanks !
Old 9th April 2009, 12:41 AM
glhere Offline

audio, mplayer, selinux messages

ok, so whether I set up pulseaudio or alsa I get no sound. One cannot be opened and the otherrefuses to connect.

SELinux message when attempting to watch online streaming video is

>The mplayer application attempted to load /usr/lib/codecs/drv4.so.6.0 which requires text relocation. This is a potential security problem. Most libraries do not need this permission. Libraries are sometimes coded incorrectly and request this permission.<

Seems trying to write to a file and execute it at the same time is a no-no, but this was supposedly corrected in kernels >2.6...

Anyone know about this?

Thanks for your time
Old 9th April 2009, 01:47 AM
JohnVV Offline

glhere please start a new thread for this NEW problem.
and what dose your problem have to do with fedora 8 .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Closed Thread

Tags
audio, fedora, nonroot, pulse, sound, users