Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2004, 02:56 PM
espique Offline

Unhappy core 2 test 3 boots into blank screen after install

Hi there,

I just installed Fedore Core 2 Test 3, my first Fedora ever. The installation seemed to work quite well. I wasn't asked for monitor or screen resolution though. And I think here is my problem: After the first reboot (while showing details) I could see the line "X is not configured, starting..." and then the screen blanked out. Could not read the rest of it. My monitor LED is blinking as if it would not get a signal or a signal that it can't display.

Subsequent reboots all do the same, they boot into a blank screen.

I am running an AMD XP processor system, nVidia nForce2 chipset, MAtrox Parhelia graphic card. And I am not experienced in Linux.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sascha
Old 6th May 2004, 02:56 AM
Bana Offline
Retired Community Manager

when you get into Grub (the one with the boot options) press e to edit the fedora entry then delete the rhgb line and press enter and then b. This should get you in without the graphical bootup (although it will still probably launch the gdm login manager) Then after a while press ctrl+alt+F1 and it should present you with a text login. Then you can edit your config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf ) and hopefully change your refresh rates/resolutions to ones you know work. Or you can try something like xfree86config (if it is still there anymore). Good luck!
Old 6th May 2004, 03:03 AM
Picomp314 Offline

I know that this sounds wierd, but what kind of monitor do you have, sometimes linux has difficulties configuring certain types (particularly lcds)
Old 6th May 2004, 03:23 AM
Thoreau Offline

not to be a jackass, but if you're trying core 2 test3 as your 1st linux distro... i would try and get Core 1, it's super stable, or tough it out with test3

Does
Code:
XF86Config -configure
work in Fedora? or it is linux/Xfree wide?

"Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?" Bob Dylan

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

My NcpMount script for Netware servers
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=544473&postcount=8
Thanks to: Brunson & Ibbo
Old 6th May 2004, 01:45 PM
espique Offline

hey.

fedora is not my first distro, but my first fedora

I found more quirks, maybe it helps to isolate the problem: I booted into runlevel 3 and started X from there, which worked! however, I then logged out of X and when X was shut down, I was again left with the blank screen and blinking monitor LED (which is a LCD monitor, and at least it's brand "SyncMaster" was recognized by the configuration).

so it seems to be a problem when X is starting or ending, mabe even the login manager. because next time I booted into runlevel 5 it worked fine, then I rebooted again and it booted into a blank screen. very confusing. If I ever get back to X I will try to reconfigure the monitor, maybe that will do it.

Any more hints?

Thanks!

Sascha
Old 6th May 2004, 03:37 PM
Darkmage Offline

Try this
Code:
X -configure
X -xf86config /root/xorg.conf.new
cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
During this process, if you see a blank screen with an "X" cursor, hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get to a shell prompt.
Old 7th May 2004, 06:48 AM
mhelios Offline
Retired Community Manager

All test release questions please post in the Test Releases forum thanks. Moved.
Old 7th May 2004, 09:09 AM
jeru Offline

I noticed a DDC bug myself. (same effect as your experiencing)

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and uncomment the horizontal and vertical refresh rates instead of letting DDC do it.
Old 7th May 2004, 10:19 AM
espique Offline

@Darkmage: Your X -configure suggestion did not help, unfortunately.

However, I was able to get back into X and edited the display settings so that I am now using a standard LCD display instead of a specific monitor. I can now boot to init 3 and successfully startx. When logging out I still get the blank screen though.

@JERU: Thanks for that hint. I will try that. What would I enter for horizontal/vertical refresh rates?

BTW: I am also getting strange keyboard errors before starting X. I get "atkbd.c: unknown key released" errors while typing. Maybe this is related? I don't know...

Many thanks,
Sascha
Old 7th May 2004, 01:02 PM
Darkmage Offline

Basically for the horizontal and verical refresh rate there is a comment "#" , remove them from both line and save.

I was reading your first post and you indicated you were never asked to select a display, then I will suggest running firstboot.
do a
Code:
man firstboot
Old 7th May 2004, 08:25 PM
espique Offline

well... unfortunately editing the xorg.conf file as was suggested did not help. I still get the same thing.

also, a "man firstboot" says the manpages are not available for firstboot. when running the command firstboot, nothing happens. it just returns to the shell with no output whatsoever.

anything else?

thanks,
sascha
Old 7th May 2004, 09:09 PM
Darkmage Offline

Code:
 rpm -qa |grep firstboot
to see if you have the rpm installed.
Firstboot is the package that detects your hardware during the initial install. Maybe you can install it from the Fedora cd but, it has some dependencies rhnlib and up2date.
Install rhnlib, up2date and firstboot in that order
rhnlib and up2date are on the first cd and firstboot is on the second cd
Old 8th May 2004, 10:56 AM
espique Offline

thanks. without having it checked yet, I think firstboot is in fact installed. when typing it into a shell I do not get an error about the command not being found or similar. all it does is nothing...

I will try though.

thanks,
sascha
Old 12th May 2004, 06:34 PM
gtano Offline

I have had almost the same problem as espique. But I got to the "firstboot" dialog and did all the setup. (the firstboot setup was in the right resulltion 1400x1050 tough). After clicking "ok" the screen went blank. I've tried to do the same thing with lower resulotion but got the same result.

Worth mentioning: I've got a Compaq Presario 2100 (2173EA) Laptop.

Please help.
Old 12th May 2004, 08:10 PM
Darkmage Offline

get to a shell login --Ctl-Alt-F1 and login as root and
Code:
  #       HorizSync    30.0 - 95.0
  #       VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
remove the two comments in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. reboot and hopefully that works

Tags
blank, boots, core, install, screen, test