Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:04 AM
gadgetwiz Offline

Bug Installing Fedora 8 with Grub on First sector (not MBR)

Ok, I've tried this multiple times and Fedora 8 will not install Grub on the 1st sector of the 2nd drive, in my case sdb1.

I used the same procedure that I have used on FC5,6,7 which is to select "config advanced bootloader" and direct the installer to install bootloader on first sector (sdb1).

Grub ends up on the MBR no matter what I select.

This is a problem because I can no longer boot using the boot.ini in XP or 2K (bootpart).

Anyone else tried this? This technique allows me to keep XP as the primary drive and boot to Fedora from the secondary drive (without placing grub on the XP drive.)

I know that it's being installed on the MBR because it boots as a stand alone drive. It shouldn't be able to boot stand alone if the BL was being installed on sdb1 as I directed.

So, any suggestions on how to get the bootloader on the 1st sector (sdb1) instead of the MBR?

Thanks!!

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'.
Oops. Wrong One.
'Do it yourself'. Yeah, that's it. - Linus Torvalds
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:12 AM
SlowJet Offline

I have complained about it for a year now but the cows never came home.

Bugzilla Bug 344221
My last attempt to get it fixed for F8.

It seems that the kernel and grub program are installed before the bootloader (which is done at the very end of anaconda. i.e. No where put the boot sector - except on the mbr of sdb, however I could not boot it from there either. I didn't try a direct bios boot but one shouldn't have too.
Even if it did work, the grub entry is still hd(0, 0) in the sdb drive's /boot/grub/grub.config
So, as they say, nobody cared.

File a new bug and dress it up with sweet talk. Maybe that will work by F9 or 10.

SJ
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:20 AM
gadgetwiz Offline

Ok, added my 2c to the bug report.

So there are no workarounds, huh?

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'.
Oops. Wrong One.
'Do it yourself'. Yeah, that's it. - Linus Torvalds

Tags
bug, fedora, grub, installing, mbr, sector