Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2007, 08:53 AM
bigboss2200 Offline
Wondering Where I Am

NetworkManager, Wireless & Wired connection problem

Hi all..

I have installed Fedora 8 successfully on my laptop.. everything went smoothly except when it comes to networking .. I have downgraded my Network Manager (as it was suggested in several forums).. My network manager CAN see my wireless network (which is not encrypted).. it connects to it for several seconds then disconnect.. same thing for Wired Networking.. it keeps trying to authenticate, and I CAN open the net while its authenticating.. but it disconnect..

now this is the pic while authenticating (where also i can open the net):

And this icon appears after several seconds:

so, any suggestion regarding this matter..?!
Old 4th December 2007, 01:23 PM
ryptyde Offline

Strange that you have wireless and wired problem maybe a setting in "system-config-network". When I was having some problems with NetworkManager in a fresh F8 install I elected to use wlassistant (Wireless Assistant) and wpa-supplicant instead.

I went to "system-config-services" and stopped NetworkManager and started "wpa-supplicant" then started Wireless Assistant and made my connection there. Wireless Assistant has connection options that you may have to set first.
Old 4th December 2007, 03:20 PM
bigboss2200 Offline
Wondering Where I Am

Thanks for ur reply..

Actually, i have came around the wireless problem (only at home) where i defined my wireless settings manually from (system -> administration -> networking -> wireless) and activating it from there.. but the wired connection cannot be enabled in the same way.. and network manager got the same state when its NOT connected...

I'd love to solve this issue, coz I can't connect to the network in my university no matter what.. I want to show the power of linux to my friend in Uni since they use only windows... but i can't show them major things (like yumming for example) without net -.-

Tags
connection, networkmanager, problem, wired, wireless