Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2007, 07:31 PM
pedroivo Offline

Question pulseaudio + jack + amarok + ardour + audacity

hi!

i'm trying to work with audio editing software and amarok at the same time with no success...
i need amarok 'cos i have to listen to a whole collection of music before editing and mixing parts of the audio files and it seems that amarok is a great option for doing it.

the problem is that amarok can't play anything with another audio software (ardour or audacity) running.

i figure that there is a way to connect amarok to jack, so i can solve that problem but i have no idea how to do it....

i also do not know how to configure pulseaudio...

lots of options, no knowledge to use them, that's the greatest problem to a new linux user... but i'm not giving up!

thanks and sorry for bad english...
Old 4th December 2007, 10:24 PM
CrackedLCD Offline

Never heard of Ardour, but according to the PulseAudio wiki: Pulse Audio Perfect Setup Audacity doesn't work w/Pulse Audio. So you might need to kill Pulse Audio before you try running Audacity and Amarok at the same time, or consider removing it altogether if this is a process you need to do often.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:05 PM
pedroivo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedLCD
Never heard of Ardour, but according to the PulseAudio wiki: Pulse Audio Perfect Setup Audacity doesn't work w/Pulse Audio. So you might need to kill Pulse Audio before you try running Audacity and Amarok at the same time, or consider removing it altogether if this is a process you need to do often.
not nice... this makes working with audio hard
Old 26th January 2008, 08:56 AM
luvdownbabylon Offline

Amarok with GStreamer? Try amarok-yauap engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroivo
hi!

i'm trying to work with audio editing software and amarok at the same time with no success...
i need amarok 'cos i have to listen to a whole collection of music before editing and mixing parts of the audio files and it seems that amarok is a great option for doing it.

the problem is that amarok can't play anything with another audio software (ardour or audacity) running.

i figure that there is a way to connect amarok to jack, so i can solve that problem but i have no idea how to do it....

i also do not know how to configure pulseaudio...

lots of options, no knowledge to use them, that's the greatest problem to a new linux user... but i'm not giving up!

thanks and sorry for bad english...
Greetings,

I have been looking into a similar set-up, but have only done some initial investigation so far.

For Amarok, try the amarok-yauap engine, which uses a command-line program that interfaces to gstreamer as a go-between. The problem with amarok-gstreamer seems to bee that the engine hasn't been updated to reflect API changes in GStreamer. I found a comment from the maintainer that says it's one of his new-years' resolutions to get that plugin working again. So eventually Amarok should have direct-to-gstreamer support again, without needing the middle-man program as a work-around.

I have not been able to find packages for ubuntu for the pulseaudio jack sink. The problem seems to be with some jack dev libraries not being in main?!? I don't really get it. I hope someone makes a package, or that I will be able to compile them myself somehow.

pulseaudio seems like it will become extremely cool once the kinks are all worked out with regard to all the popular audio programs.

"Audacity doesn't support PulseAudio, nor Esound for the moment. You'll have to kill pulseaudio before you use this application. However, some work has started on the PortAudio cross-platform Audio API, to support PulseAudio" - from the PulseAudio Wiki, as pedroivo mentioned.

That sucks, but pasuspender may be able to help. It suspends all pulseaudio sinks.

Good luck with your configuration!
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:21 PM
alukin Offline

Only way to work with sound is to get rid of PulseAudio. It does nor work normally yet with any sound capture program. It does not work with jackd which required by any good sound program. An never will with proposed 2 sec buffers.
Old 14th August 2008, 06:07 AM
matth45 Offline

You definitely have to have jackd at the bottom of the stack to have something like that work. I have heard of people getting the pulseaudio jack sink working in fedora, but I haven't done it myself.

The (rather perverse) picture might look something like pulseaudio -> jack -> alsa, where programs are configured to connect to the whichever is the lowest layer that they support, and programs that support alsa only are directed through pulseaudio by way of alsa-plugins-pulseaudio. The only benefit I see to running pulseaudio like this is to get programs that only support alsa output into jackd, in lieu of the seemingly defunct alsa jack plug.

Tags
amarok, ardour, audacity, jack, pulseaudio