Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th May 2008, 05:19 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC
it is recommended to format the disk before doing a fresh install? ^^;;
*cough* *cough*

Sorry, your question is not very clear. format what exactly? If you do not format your / (root) partition then it is not a fresh install. You do not need to reformat your /home if it is on a separate partition, but I have run into minor issues carrying many of the .config files over. I now create separate /data partitions for my personal unmentionables like music, TV, work, documents...and just use the default /home (inside /) as a dumping ground for downloads, a make area and distro specific junk.

This is just what I do, you will find what is easiest for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb
Since I setup a /storage partition that includes all of my music pictures..etc i guess i don't have to worry. I also have a /home directory but i guess it really isn't worth saving. unless it doesn't require much effort when installing f9.
exactly.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 9th May 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 9th May 2008, 05:36 PM
LDC Offline

by "format the disk" I mean something like "format c: /U"
I choosed to have a primary hard disk with Fedora only (nothing else, just fedora), and all datas are in a separate HDD...

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 9th May 2008, 07:03 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC
by "format the disk" I mean something like "format c: /U"
I choosed to have a primary hard disk with Fedora only (nothing else, just fedora), and all datas are in a separate HDD...
OK, if you are planning to install from disc then just let anaconda do the work, you dont need to do anything extra. Just run the F9 disc and when it comes to the partitioning screen select "custom partitioning" from the drop down box. This will bring you to another screen that will show all mounted drives. Just format your primary hard disk as ext3, keeping everything in the / partition. Then, just click on the patrtition that has your data. A pop up box should come up with the choice to label but do NOT format.

You could, of course, also use LVM if you were so inclined, but...well...
Old 9th May 2008, 07:25 PM
LDC Offline

I feel comfortable following that procedure, it seems easy enough even for me (I __should___ not blow up anything...hope...)

uh? "LVM"? what is this @.@

another question: what if I do "unplug" the "data hard disk" a little before the install? it is a whole NTFS partition that MUST remain that way...

lastly: I would like to have a non-journaled partition for my Linuxbox, which one should I choose?

Old 9th May 2008, 07:56 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

1. LVM - Use the search function and you will learn much more than you want (or need) to know. Basically, it is a software layer that creates logical volumes out of your partitions allowing you to cluster drives, expand and shrink partitions and lots of other neat stuff. But...and this is a huge "but," it requires you to learn to use it and for a home PC the advantages are negligible. If you did a default install than you are running LVM right now. Didnt even know it, did ya?

2. You can. I reckon Fedora now auto-mounts drives these days. I dont take the chance though, I like to point the installer to my data drives. I know what I am doing and am very careful around partitioning screens though, kind of like handling loaded firearms. One stupid slip and BAM!

3. Not too sure, you will have to look into this or ask around. ext2 is non-journaled but I am not sure if that is the best choice.
Old 9th May 2008, 08:21 PM
LDC Offline

1) nope, just discovered (as others many things) right now

2) I don't mind blowing up the HDD at all, since I do regular backups and everything is under control

3) mh, I will ask around

many thanks!!!

Old 9th May 2008, 08:33 PM
drunkahol Offline

Even if upgrades WERE supported by Fedora, I would still advocate doing a re-install.

Get your kickstart files updated folks. Use a kickstart to partition your disk the way you want, leaving your /home partition unformatted. Install the packages you want. Then use the post install script to poke your config files into shape.

Makes for a MUCH easier ride when it comes to reinstalls. No need to remember what you did last time, just fire up the media and point it to the kickstart. This has come in *SO* useful when I've messed up a system so bad that it's borked.

Besides which, using kickstarts is pretty much the ONLY way to install lots of Red Hat systems from the RHN Satellite.

Cheers

Duncan
Old 9th May 2008, 08:42 PM
drunkahol Offline

*gasp*

Quote:
JN4OldSchool:

for a home PC the advantages (of LVM) are negligible
Blasphemer! :-)

LVM can do a LOT for your system. Regardless of whether it's a home PC or a server. The ability to add extra disks to your system and just add space to your various partitions is not to be sniffed at.

OK - so I have the advantage that I know how to use it, but using LVM snapshots of home directories is an excellent way of saving the embarrassment of deleting files by mistake. Mirroring an volume that is already in use - excellent. Just want to create a big partition using all the space you've got on those 3 hard drives you've collected over the years - simple. (I'd never advocate that last one though - unless you LIKE not having backups!)

It doesn't hurt you to use LVM's and can provide SO much benefit when you need it.

Recently I added a new disk to a system, added it to the LVM setup, then migrated all the data to it without interrupting what I was doing. OK there's a downtime for putting the new disk in and then taking the old one out, but I was running perfectly well while the 400Gb of data was being transferred!

Cheers

Duncan
Old 9th May 2008, 09:01 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

oh sheesh...

I'm not going to start another LVM war. I respect what LVM can do, but the only thing you mentioned that I cannot already do on my system is spanning multiple drives with one partition. Not much of a disadvantage when my smallest drives are 80GB and I would prefer to keep certain partitions on separate physical drives well away from the OS. I mirror my data just fine with hardware RAID.

Look, you have to realize that in this day and age most of the folks in here dont even use towers anymore, most people are on a laptop. If they do run an old tower as a server they will have a super-simple partitioning scheme. It is like what you say in your previous post about the kickstart file. Hey, that is a great method, I wont argue the validity of what you are saying. But how many of us know anything about kickstart?

This quote:

Quote:
Besides which, using kickstarts is pretty much the ONLY way to install lots of Red Hat systems from the RHN Satellite.
gave me a good chuckle! Next time I am installing a RHEL system from the Red Hat Network I will think of you!

For my needs LVM is simply an added complication I do not need. I will be the first to admit I do not fully understand it, but I am not scared or close minded about it. If the time ever comes where I see an advantage to it I will learn how to use it. But for what I do my partitioning scheme works perfectly.
Old 10th May 2008, 10:02 AM
LDC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkahol
Get your kickstart files updated folks. Use a kickstart to partition your disk the way you want, leaving your /home partition unformatted. Install the packages you want. Then use the post install script to poke your config files into shape.
this sounds totally cool, but..I will once again admit my ignorance telling you that... I don't know how to do that!!!

Old 22nd June 2008, 06:35 PM
hallikainen Offline

Interesting discussion! Over the years, I've added quite a few applications and modified a lot of config files. Doing a fresh install seems like quite a pain. Before modifying a config file, I copy it to a backup (something like httpd.conf.3.HH where 3 is my version number that increments each time) so I can do a search and find them all. I could then manually copy these to the appropriate location on a new install, but that's certainly a pain. Also, as others have pointed out, you have to deal with adding back users. I've tried copying the password and shadow password files over before, but different versions have different usernames for various programs, so I end up having to copy and paste users into the password and shadow password files. Then, there can be differences in config files between versions, so I have to hand edit the default config to add in my changes. This all can be quite a bit of work!

Harold
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:46 PM
clay247 Offline

PreUpgrade is like a network install... fickle

Just thought I'd chime in since I haven't visited in a while. Before I rip somebody for an excellent distro I'd like to say thx Fedora for all your years of kick ass OSS.

However, my experience using preupgrade to go from FC8 -> FC9 has been horrible. Of course with pain comes knowledge in my Linux world. I can say that after a few days of trying preupgrade I know more about anaconda than ever.

Now the really stupid thing I did was try to run preupgrade on one of my remote headless servers. Its a dev machine, but still, WTF was I thinking LOL. Its in a crashed state right now until someone gets in on Monday. I suspect it is sitting at the boot loader screen or is waiting for console input?

The most annoying prob for me using preupgrade on my local desktop is missing / corrupt rpms. Preupgrade misses packages during the initial stage of preupgrade. Odd too, its the standard hiccup I see when I do network installs, for whatever reason it leaves out libgssapi when it builds its package list. Then when reboot to install time comes, it complains that its missing. These type of errors have been in a network install for years. I guess preupgrade is similar in many ways.

I did use preupgrade-cli to go FC7 -> FC8 on the remote headless machine I tried, so maybe that was the issue there? I think preupgrade-cli is expecting me to be at the console... not optimum at all for a remote admin

Well, as I type this preupgrade in init mode has gotten farther on my desktop than it ever has, maybe that wget of libgssapi will do the trick?

-- UPDATE --

The last PreUpgrade attempt total crashed my machine, as if the motherboard protected itself from overheating. One of my biggest gripes is the lag between the Prepare Transaction from installation source step and when it actually decides to ask for network configuration. Couldn't it go ahead and try DHCP and on success proceed? Perhaps this step is when anaconda is crunching a lot of metadata? And there goes another crash in the same spot. Maybe its my hardware?

I'm gonna have to quit trying and hope preupgrade matures a bit... Geez it isn't even 1.0 yet, what am I complaining about again?

Long live the fresh network install from console!

Good Luck,

C
FC7 x86_64 : AMD 64 X2 4000+ : GA-MA69G-S3H mobo using all integrated devices ATI integrated crossfire x1250 (fglrx from ATI/AMD) x86_64 yum channels, livna i386 packages for Firefox, plugins(video related, java)

Last edited by clay247; 23rd June 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: additions
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:47 PM
allmywebsite1 Offline
Banned

thank you so much sharing such an interesting thing with us. it is really very nice.

Hi, everybody! Regardless of what I just said, I am still no more than an ID-10-T signature spammer!

Huh?! Wh.. Who ... Who are you?

AIIEEEEE! NOOOOoooo!

<..--****--..>

Yeah. Thanks for that. ... Cha-chink ...
BANG!
(tinkle, tinkle, tink.)

OK, folks. Nuthin' here to look at. Break it up. G'wan about your business.

Hey! Seve! Got the lime bucket handy?

Last edited by Dan; 23rd June 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:48 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmywebsite1
thank you so much sharing such an interesting thing with us. it is really very nice.
Nice sig dude!
Old 29th October 2008, 02:43 AM
pocoman Offline

Hi, I have a few questions:

1. I am using F8 and my/home folder is on a separated partition. Could I intall F8 or F10 without losing the data in /home? And how ? Is backup necessary?

2. Should I need to format / folder before installing?

3. What happens with my config files after clean installation? Will they be erased or modified?

4. How to let the intallation preserve all users' informations (like username, password, home directory, default shell, etc.) ?
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh, installs, upgrades