Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 10th December 2007, 02:43 PM
riffin-rich Offline

Home Server Distro with File server, UPnP sharing, SMB sharing, Streaming, TiVo?

Can anyone help? We're looking for something that has the capabilities of Windows Home Server, specifically for use at home: File server, UPnP file sharing, SMB file sharing, WebDev file sharing, Media streaming, possibly TiVo backup / sharing, PC backup server, etc. We're more or less looking for another distribution (vs. a Fedora app, but I'd consider this too if you know of any). We looked at Openfiler (.org) but it's more of a small business level application. As Phil wrote, I'm sure if you have a domain server somewhere on your network this would work great, but the security is WAY too much for home use. We need something for home use. The write-up and directions are great. The software just leaves a lot to be desired for home use ... and their site even warns to this effect.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...meserver/defau
lt.mspx
Old 11th December 2007, 07:43 AM
hellork Offline

Any modern linux should be able to do the job. I prefer a distro with a liveCD installer, fast repo mirrors and a decent package manager to get up and running faster. In this regard, Fedora is fine. Just install to hard drive, download only the packages you need through Applications->Add Remove Software and you're up and running with minimal configuration, especially if you use a gui tool, such as webmin, to do your setup.

Sure, I could compile everything from scratch and do all my tweaking by manually editing configuration files in vim if I wanted to but after the first 500 installs that gets old.

Last edited by hellork; 11th December 2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11th December 2007, 08:21 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

The file sharing and samba is routine in fedora, for a upnp server see http://ushare.geexbox.org, and you can use vlc as a media server - google "how to stream almost anything using vlc".

In fedora you install vlc from livna, eg for F8
Code:
su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/fedora-release-8.rpm
yum install vlc
Old 11th December 2007, 03:38 PM
A.Serbinski Offline

For media streaming/sharing, take a look at MythTV --- its a complete replacement for TiVo, or could interact with an existing TiVo (ie DTiVo).
Old 11th December 2007, 03:42 PM
drunkahol Offline

And if you're looking at MythTV (which I would do as well), take a look at MythDora. It's a ready-to-go MythTV "distro" built around Fedora. Getting slightly out of date at the moment, but they're gearing up for a big release with the next MythTV release.

Cheers

Duncan

Tags
distro, file, home, server, sharing, smb, streaming, tivo, upnp