Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th December 2007, 02:30 PM
billb Offline

PS3 FW 2.1 Issues

After updating my PS3 firmware from 2.01 to v2.1 everything looks OK on the Game OS side, but when I switch to the "OtherOS" I just get a blank screen and no drive activity or anything.

I use a different bootloader to load Yellow Dog 5.0.1 (the one from the install DVD) and it still works, but the one I've been using for Fedora doesn't. The one from this rar archive here still works for Fedora 7.

Also, there may be a change that prevents ps3rsx from working ... see this post.

Before updating to the new FW 2.1 you may want to go ahead and change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file back to using fbdev instead of ps3 if you're using the ps3rsx module and X driver. Also you may need the bootloader linked above.
Old 19th December 2007, 01:55 PM
demosuzki Offline

thanks for this. i was going crazy with the old otheros. the linked one worked for me.

phew.

i had a good bit if dev work i had forgot to backup !
Old 28th December 2007, 04:05 AM
dbetz Offline

I just recently acquired a 40gb PS3 with firmware 2.1 and am trying to install Fedora 7 so that I can then install the IBM Cell SDK 3.0. I've tried the boot loader pointed to by your message but have been unable to successfully install FC7. I get to the boot loader screen and can select the screen resolution and "Linux 64". However, once the install gets underway and the GUI comes up, the screen resolution seems to be forgotten and the installer starts in a very low resolution mode. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to use it in that mode since its dialogs don't fit on the low resolution screen and important buttons are not reachable. Do you have any idea why the screen resolution that I pick in the boot loader doesn't get used by the FC7 installer? is there another boot loader that will just present the boot prompt so that I can enter command line arguments to control the boot process? As I said, I'm running PS3 firmware 2.1.

Thanks!
David

P.S. I'm using a 19" 720p HDMI TV.
Old 28th December 2007, 05:34 PM
billb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbetz
I just recently acquired a 40gb PS3 with firmware 2.1 and am trying to install Fedora 7 so that I can then install the IBM Cell SDK 3.0. I've tried the boot loader pointed to by your message but have been unable to successfully install FC7. I get to the boot loader screen and can select the screen resolution and "Linux 64". However, once the install gets underway and the GUI comes up, the screen resolution seems to be forgotten and the installer starts in a very low resolution mode. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to use it in that mode since its dialogs don't fit on the low resolution screen and important buttons are not reachable. Do you have any idea why the screen resolution that I pick in the boot loader doesn't get used by the FC7 installer? is there another boot loader that will just present the boot prompt so that I can enter command line arguments to control the boot process? As I said, I'm running PS3 firmware 2.1.

Thanks!
David

P.S. I'm using a 19" 720p HDMI TV.
There's an updated one here (right-click, Save As) that should work.

It's from the CELL-Linux-CL_20071220-ADDON:
v1.5.1 (2007/12/20 version)

Linux Kernel 2.6.23

o Following problems are fixed

- As of PS3 firmware version 2.10, the GPU command buffer size must be at least 2
MiB large. Then we can not see the video output on the display.

With this version you should be able to use:

linux video=720p

or, with the same result:

linux64 video=720p

Originally I was installing the petitboot version and, since I was stuck in low resolution mode, using the F12 key to get past the prompt in the installer.

EDIT: Just confirmed that the CELL-Linux-CL_20071220-ADDON updated version works fine.

Last edited by billb; 28th December 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 28th December 2007, 05:41 PM
dbetz Offline

Thanks for your response! That boot loader worked fine! I'm now waiting for the FC7 installation to finish.

Thanks again!
David
Old 28th December 2007, 06:30 PM
demosuzki Offline

if i remember rightly you can use the F12 key to confirm the install dialogs that appear out of screen

you can then reset the display after the installation

Tags
issues, ps3