Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2007, 04:37 PM
Frank616 Offline

F8 keyring automation in KDE?

I'm new to Fedora, but have used Xandros for the past 6 years full-time. F8 (KDE) accurately detected my Intel Wireless card and set up the driver, and it works just fine. I had to put a password for my router into the keyring, and the password I use is long and convoluted. I may have made a mistake the first time I put it into the keyring, and now it does not always start the wireless for me, but continues to prompt me for the password when booting. Two questions:

1) How can I edit the password for wlan0 in the keyring?

2) Can I automate the use of the keyring so that I do not have to unlock the keyring every time I reboot?

I've searched the forum already, and have found some information for F6 and F7, and something about pam somethingorother, but nothing that appears to answer the two questions I have posted here.

Thanks.

Frank.
Old 21st December 2007, 04:43 PM
kjallcock Offline

You haven't done anything wrong.
As a workaround, there is a pam module that you can use which will use your login password to open your keyring.

If you have auto-login on though, and don't enter a password then this isn't an option.
This is my single biggest gripe with linux ... I hate putting that password in each time I boot

If anyone has a way of not having to put a password in to allow networkmanager to connect to wlan I would love to know.
It has been in the pipeline for ages but never seems to arrive.
Old 21st December 2007, 04:50 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Theres a simple way here
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=172827
Old 21st December 2007, 06:50 PM
kjallcock Offline

Talking

Worked ! and so simple ....

I think i'm gonna cry ...
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:28 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

An easier way would of been leaving the default keyring blank. With this script, you have you password exposed in plain text....
Old 22nd December 2007, 09:11 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
An easier way would of been leaving the default keyring blank. With this script, you have you password exposed in plain text....
Not really because they have to logged already, to your machine, find the file read the password,and then what does it matter because they dont need to use the password, unless you are daft enough to put your password the same as your login password etc.

Tags
automation, kde, keyring