Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th December 2007, 04:51 AM
rh10023 Offline

Dynamic DNS is it possible?

Here is my setup. I can't seem to find documentation that tells how do to this setup for my LAN that I have running at home. I have DHCP being served up from my Linksys WRV54G to my Windows clients. My DNS server runs on a RedHat 9 Server and my Linux Server runs Fedora 6. My Linux Server cannot get to my Windows machines via IP name. Need to use the IP Address instead. (I am trying to automate the backup of my Windows PCs.) So I be able to get Dynamic DNS to work with my setup? Is there a URL that has some documentation on how to do Dynamic DNS on a LAN configuration that is similar to mine?
Old 30th December 2007, 05:45 AM
jmuirhead Offline

http://www.howtoforge.net
Old 30th December 2007, 06:17 AM
GrapeShot Offline

rh10023,

I have been running a linux based dynamic dns for my home network for several months now. The link above will take you to the site that I used to get things up and running. Here is the exact tutorial that I used from that site

http://www.howtoforge.net/fedora_dynamic_dns

The only thing that I would add is that in if you plan to reserve addresses for the Windows boxes so that they get the same address each time, edit /etc/dhcpd.conf so that you have lines similar to what is shown below for each host that you want to reserve and address for. Enter these stanzas just before the last "}" in dhcpd.conf.
Code:
        host client1 {
                hardware ethernet 00:11:a3:04:01:e5;
                fixed-address 192.168.1.4;
        }
Also, in the tutorial, the location of named.conf is wrong if you are running bind in a chroot environment. If it isn't in /etc it will be under /var/named/chroot/etc/ instead.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Tags
dns, dynamic