Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th January 2008, 11:52 PM
Frank616 Offline

Roll back upgrades with Smart Package Manager?

With Fedora being a development disto as opposed to an enterprise distro, I wonder about what to if a new package breaks something. I searched the forum for an answer, and came across this:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...l+back+upgrade

Post #9 speaks of the ability of the Smart Package Manager to roll back installed packages, should the new one be a problem.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm thinking of application upgrades, not kernel, and I already know what to do if a kernel upgrade causes a problem (just boot the previous kernel). However, if a new version of Amarok kills my sound server, then I need to be able to put it back the way it was until the bugs get fixed.

Thanks

Frank.
Old 12th January 2008, 04:10 AM
lazlow Offline

As long as the older version of whatever is still on the repo you just click on it and smart will install it (just like any other package would install). The thing you have to look out for (regardless of what you use to rollback) is all the things that may be dependent on the newer version of the package. Reverting ONE package may cause you to rollback the versions of a dozen (or more) other packages. This may or may not be an issue.

Tags
manager, package, roll, smart, upgrades