Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2008, 10:22 PM
jaygeefed Offline

Belkin USB Adaptor Not Recognised

Hi All

I'm trying to use a Belkin USB Adaptor on my desktop within F8 but can't get past udev on bootup with the device plugged in to a USB port.

If the device is plugged in to a USB port after booting there's no trace of Bluetooth Manager.

Any help on installing this device would be appreciated.

John
Old 20th January 2008, 03:21 AM
ryptyde Offline

I have a "IOGEAR" Bluetooth to USB adapter and I had to enable and start "bluetooth" in services "system-config-services" then the bluetooth manager icon became visible in my panel. I tested it with a cell phone and it found and recognised the device.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether bluetooth is enabled by default in F8 or if you need anymore packages from the repos. You may only have to enable it in "services" though.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:15 PM
jaygeefed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryptyde
I have a "IOGEAR" Bluetooth to USB adapter and I had to enable and start "bluetooth" in services "system-config-services" then the bluetooth manager icon became visible in my panel. I tested it with a cell phone and it found and recognised the device.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether bluetooth is enabled by default in F8 or if you need anymore packages from the repos. You may only have to enable it in "services" though.
Thanks for the reply.

I've got Bluetooth enabled in runlevel 5 within "system-config-services" and I've installed all the packages listed under a yum "bluez" search response. But still no sign of Bluetooth Manager. And I still can't boot into F8 if the adaptor is plugged into a USB port.

I've checked out the bluez site and although the F8 versions of bluez software are in arrears of the latest bluez site versions it's probably me missing a trick somewhere. Looks like I'll have to stick with my XP setup for mobile phone pairing for now.

John
Old 27th April 2008, 08:34 PM
jaygeefed Offline

For the record: I binned the Belkin dongle and replaced it with a Nikkai 10m V2.0 EDR Bluetooth USB Adaptor from Maplin Electronics at half the price.

Using the new dongle I've successfully paired my PC and my Nokia 6300 mobile phone using the F8 Bluetooth Manager and have also set up Wammu i.a.w the Oliver Meyer "Wammu How To".

Hope this helps.

Tags
adaptor, belkin, recognised, usb