Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2008, 06:29 PM
Cedar Offline

fedora 8 media server for ps3

beginner to linux here, ive been wanting to share my music library to my ps3, everything i try seems to fail miserably! installed ushare everything semmed to work when i go to the web "http://localhost:49153/web/ushare.html" the folder i am sharing appears and shows the mdiaserver, however when i search for the server on the ps3 it doesnt show. So i went for mediatomb, compiled and installed all required packages, when i try to run it it gives me the error:

"ERROR: The connection to the MySQL database has failed: mysql_error (2002): "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"

tried to search for the error and cant find anything. if anyone can help me out ive been at this for weeks and have experienceed nothing but sheer failure! im absolute beginner at linux, can anyone give me a basic step by step tutorial on how to share my media (mostly mp3)?

cheers
Old 20th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Cedar Offline

all the tutorials on the subject are based on ubuntu, followed all of them and always get stalled somewhere.
Old 7th February 2008, 02:37 AM
icicles Offline

Error, libupnp < 1.4.2 !

Yeah, I'm getting stuck too. when I try to compile ushare-1.1a I get this:
Quote:
Checking for compiler available...
Checking for locales ...
Checking for ifaddrs ...
Checking for langinfo ...
Checking for iconv ...
Checking for libixml ...
Checking for libthreadutil ...
Checking for libupnp >= 1.4.2 ...
Error, libupnp < 1.4.2 !
See file "config.log" produced by configure for more details.
been googling for a while but can't seem to find a fix...
Old 8th March 2008, 08:10 AM
stoomart Offline

Greetings all,

Running the default ushare package in F8 (currently version 1.1a-3.fc8) works fine for me to stream music, pictures, and videos to my PS3.
Here are the MANDITORY lines I had to change:

USHARE_DIR=/path/to/files
USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA=yes

(it is REQUIRED that you change the default ENABLE_DLNA to USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA. The same is true for ENABLE_XBOX needing to be changed to USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX to stream successfully to an Xbox 360)

If your listening network interface is anything other than eth0, you must specify it such as below:

USHARE_IFACE=eth1

If you have your firewall enabled, you need to specify a static port such as below, and then open this port through your firewall:

USHARE_PORT=49200

Just a quick note, starting ushare without any profiles enabled or with the Xbox profile enabled takes just a few seconds to scan my entire file collection (8,636 files), whereas starting with the DLNA profile takes almost 10 minutes.
Any ideas?

Hope this helps, stoo
Old 8th March 2008, 09:35 AM
stoomart Offline

I just realized that you must also have ushare-freeworld installed from the livna repository in order to enable the DLNA support required by the PS3. If this is not installed, the USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA= setting is ignored and the will not stream on the PS3.

I also just put in a bugzilla report for the incorrect config settings at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=436605

Regards, stoo

Tags
fedora, media, ps3, server