Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:48 AM
beeball Offline

Question Installing to a USB Flash Drive and using the drive and a normal hard drive

I was searching about how to run Fedora 8 off a USB flash drive, but I only found how to make a flash drive into a live image.

Quote:
From: http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...nd-so-can-you/

Remember!

The USB key that you have just configured only contains the operating system. It does not store any of your personal data on it. I recommend that you carry around a second USB key for saving data. Most laptops have more than one USB slot, so it is easy to plug them both in. Boot off of the first key, and then before you shut down the computer, save all of the stuff you worked on to the second key.
How can I install Fedora 8 to a USB stick and make it work like a normal hard drive?
OR---how can I use the live image cd with a USB stick to save my data and settings so that I dont start over from the defaults every time i load the live cd? Thanks.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:45 PM
AntMan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeball
How can I install Fedora 8 to a USB stick and make it work like a normal hard drive?
Just select the USB Stick as your target drive during the install process. I did this to my SanDisk 8gig cruzer stick and it worked like a charm ( I also selected the USBstick as my main HD in the grub drop down box during the install)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeball
OR---how can I use the live image cd with a USB stick to save my data and settings so that I dont start over from the defaults every time i load the live cd? Thanks.
The LiveCD-tools script listed on the Wiki doesn't support persist mode yet. But they are working on it for Fedora9. I'm hoping for this feature too.

Last edited by AntMan; 19th March 2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:35 PM
sidebrnz Online

I have an odd question about that: I have a USB key set up that way but my computer doesn't support booting off of it so I can't test it. Does anybody happen to know if loadlin would work?
Old 23rd March 2008, 05:45 AM
ataraxis6 Offline

I tried installing Fedora 8 on my portable USB HDD. Didn't have any issues during the installation, but I am not able to boot from it. I have configured my BIOS to boot from USB Hard Disk but no luck My computer goes on to boot Windows XP on the internal hard disk. I also tried it on a computer at work, but all I got was a blank screen when I selected to boot from the USB hard drive.

I wish it had worked.

Tags
drive, flash, hard, installing, normal, usb