Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:27 PM
Captain Skippy Offline

Exporting Thunderbird, and Importing to Evolution

I'm a relative newcomer to Linux. I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop since Gutsy came out, and had been toying with the LiveCD for about a year before that.

Now it has come to the point when I need to do something about my desktop, which is in need of a reinstall after getting clogged up with crapware by my son. I've heard great things about Fedora, and think it may be the distro for that machine.

I currently use Thunderbird in XP, and I want to keep my emails and account settings when I transfer - any recommendations about how I may go about that?
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:23 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I just export addresses to a file (ldif file is created) and then email the file to myself if I don't want to burn it off to a CD/DVD/etc. As far as the settings, you can simply copy them down and set up Tbird the same way in Fedora. I've done it so often with other distros that it's a two-minute process with every new setup.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:51 PM
jazzfan Offline

I don't know how to import to Evolution, but this is the way to get the EXACT copy of thunderbird in linux.

1. Install Thunderbird
Code:
 yum -c "yum install thunderbird"
2. Mount windows file system (in should be preinstalled and mounted at boot automaticly, but just in case it isn't):
2.1 . Install NTFS driver:
Code:
sudo -c "yum install ntfs-3g
2.2. Locate your NTFS drives:
Code:
su -c "/sbin/fdisk -l"
Look the system column for NTFS and remember it's device
2.3. To mount on boot do this for each NTFS device you have:
Code:
su -c "mkdir /media/#display_name#           #use any you want.
su -c "echo -e '#device_name#		/media/#display_name#		ntfs	defaults	0 0 \n' >> /etc/fstab"
2.4. Restart X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) or restart computer or just run
Code:
 su -c "mount -a"
3. Open your partition where your windows is installed (usually C:) in linux.
Copy all from Documents and Settings/#your_win_username#/Application Data/Thunderbird to ~/.thunderbird (~ stands for home in linux - /home/#your_linux_username#)

But now when you're running 2 mail clients: if you're using POP, POP will erase a massage from the server when it's downloaded. So mails you have downloaded in windows, won't be avaible in linux. You should use IMAP, if is your mail server support it. If not, you can make script in /etc/ rc3.d folder to import files from the windows when booted and export files when being shuted down..

"Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?" - Jasse Keating
"Because open sorce matters" - Joomla!
"Be free" - KDE

Tags
evolution, exporting, importing, thunderbird