Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th January 2008, 06:33 AM
fixyou Offline

Cross compiler for ARM

Can any one tell me what cross-compiler tools are avaiable on fedora core 8 for ARM architecture, and also how to use it build programs. as of now i have something like arm-gp2x-linux installed , but not quite sure if its "the" cross compiler.

thank you
Old 24th January 2008, 06:38 AM
marcrblevins Offline

Someone gonna flame ya, you shouldn't double post or cross post. Read the Guidelines, listed at the top of this forum.
Old 24th January 2008, 06:43 AM
marcrblevins Offline

[root@kiriyamablevins ~]# yum search arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-binutils.i386 : Cross Compiling GNU binutils targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-zlib.noarch : Cross Compiled zlib Library targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-gcc.i386 : Cross Compiling GNU GCC targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-kernel-headers.noarch : Kernel headers for Cross Compiling to arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-gcc-c++.i386 : Cross Compiling GNU G++ targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-SDL.noarch : Cross Compiled SDL Library targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
arm-gp2x-linux-glibc.noarch : Cross Compiled GNU C Library targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
[root@kiriyamablevins ~]#

This is what you were looking for?

[root@kiriyamablevins ~]# yum info arm-gp2x-linux-binutils.i386
Available Packages
Name : arm-gp2x-linux-binutils
Arch : i386
Version: 2.16.1
Release: 4.fc8
Size : 3.1 M
Repo : fedora
Summary: Cross Compiling GNU binutils targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
Description:
This is a Cross Compiling version of GNU binutils, which can be used to
assemble and link binaries for the arm-gp2x-linux platform, instead of for the
native i386 platform.

[root@kiriyamablevins ~]#
Old 24th January 2008, 06:44 AM
marcrblevins Offline

fixyou,
Welcome to Fedora!
Old 24th January 2008, 06:46 AM
fixyou Offline

yes i guess these are the ones....i was looking for...now can you help me out in figuring out how i build and run a simple "hello world program"...which i can run on a simulator for ARM .
Old 24th January 2008, 08:57 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Cross-compiling is easier if you do it in a virtual sandbox environment which emulates the target processor. Have a look at scratchbox, the official install instructions are here. But there's a much nicer guide on setting up an arm cross-compiler in one the the tutorials at http://www.free-electrons.com/training, here's the link

http://free-electrons.com/doc/embedd...tools_labs.pdf

The scratchbox stuff starts in lab 4.

Scratchbox uses qemu for emulation, and separates you from the host system so your compile environment is pretty safe.

In fedora you need to apply this small fix if you get an error logging in ('echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled' as root)

Be careful if you are targeting a specific device, many portable devices have no hardware floating point support, so you will need a soft-float toolchain, also beware if the target device is linked to uClibc rather glibc (mostly the former in embedded devices). Scratchbox supply a variety of ready-made toolchains, eg http://www.scratchbox.org/download/f...egacy/tarball/ (the ones with 'sf' in the name are soft-float)

You may need static compiles if you have unresolved symbol errors on the target device. If you're just experimenting locally then don't worry.

Last edited by sideways; 24th January 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 24th January 2008, 12:53 PM
Wayne

This is not a Guide or How-To Article. Moved to 'Programming'

Wayne
Old 24th January 2008, 04:20 PM
sej7278 Offline

i think if you can't figure out how to even install the cross compiler, you really shouldn't be trying to do programming and emulation as you're going to find that much harder....

Tags
arm, compiler, cross