Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2008, 06:08 AM
cbw34 Offline

What next??? Websites won't load... [SOLVED]

Hello:

I'm fairly new to Linux (used many years ago but forgot most of what I learned). I recently decided to get back into it... and installed Linux on a dual boot laptop. My setup is this:

Fedora v.8 2.6.23.1-42.fc8
HP Laptop w/ the Intel ProWireless 3945ABG Network connection
Actiontec Wireless modem from Qwest

After a couple of days of working on this, I found the most consistent (pretty much only) way to connect is with the wireless setings on "Managed".

I also had problems with the "Network Manager" running, so I turned that off. It mostly kept dropping the connection, and once it did, I couldn't reconnect.

Now, I'm to the point where I can connect (once at startup... if I disconnect i can't reconnect)
I can ping sites by name or IP

but I can barely get websites to load. Most won't load at all.... some (like this site) will, but very slowly. Major sites, like google and yahoo, never respond.... I will get a timeout or site not responding error.

I've tried using two different browsers (Firefox and Epiphany), turned the firewall off and on, but no difference. Also, when starting Firefox, it will "hang" for several minutes before it responds.

Even when using the Network Manager, the problem was the same.

So, what are my options at this point? I've read quite a bit, and understand their might be an issue with the 3945, but most fixes I've read seem to be hit or miss. Also some are beyond what I can do right now, like install kernel upgrades, new drivers, etc.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

cbw
Old 26th January 2008, 06:19 AM
ppesci Offline

Try to use the command:

/sbin/ifconfig

to see if your card are experience problems. Check for errors in lines RX and TX or any weird values.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 26th January 2008, 02:55 PM
cbw34 Offline

I tried this.... looks normal with no errors.

This morning I deactivated the wireless and used the ethernet connection. I get the same results.

cbw

edit to add: I also compared settings with settings in Windows... everything applicable seems to match.

cbw

Last edited by cbw34; 26th January 2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 26th January 2008, 04:46 PM
ppesci Offline

Is not a driver problem. I think you must to check as root, the file /var/log/messages in order to see if you have some other problem.

In console, as root type:

/etc/init.d/network restart

once the interfaces restart, use the command:

tail -f /var/log/messages

that command will track the system messages and will show to you. Let it run and then use firefox to see if new lines appear.

EDIT: Are you using 64bit linux version? or 32 bit?

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 26th January 2008, 06:03 PM
cbw34 Offline

SUCCESS!!

thanks for the replies.... after figuring out the ethernet didn't work... I started investigating the modem.

An upgrade to the current firmware QW05.5 seems to have solved the problem. I also had to change the network setting in linux from "managed" to "auto".

At any rate... thought I'd post what worked for me, in case anyone else can use it.

Thanks

cbw
Old 26th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Thanks for checking back in with the fix! I'll mark this one [SOLVED] then.

Dan

Tags
load, solved, websites