Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2008, 10:04 PM
DarkButterfly Offline

Fedora 8 and Macbookpro

Hi there. This is my first time in here. I have been looking for info on how to get F8 running on macbookpro. All I have found so far is on how to get it dual-booting or triple-booting. The question is it possible to full run it as the only OS running on this laptop. What problems would I find? How to solve them? Do you know of any guide that would explain it?

Thanks.
Old 28th January 2008, 12:40 AM
ppesci Offline

I have a Macbook Pro and dual OS. Maybe your only chance is in this way because Macbook Pro has EFI and not traditional BIOS.

But if you can try, I suggest install F8 as usual with previous OS X installed, and then when F8 is installed and running, you can delete OS X partition and use that space for F8 too. You must leave unmodified the first partition because EFI use it.

If you try, tell us.

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 28th January 2008, 02:52 PM
9192 Offline

I have MBP Santa Rosa and want to use F8 with OSX on it too. However, I could not get wifi t work. (I just use Live CD, not install yet.)
Any advice to get work?

Thanks 9192
Old 28th January 2008, 03:45 PM
DarkButterfly Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9192
I have MBP Santa Rosa and want to use F8 with OSX on it too. However, I could not get wifi t work. (I just use Live CD, not install yet.)
Any advice to get work?

Thanks 9192
It seems that happens to everyone. I don't think there's a chance to work that. Airport Extreme belongs to Apple, therefore proprietary. The only solution is to make a driver to get it to work. But then again it is proprietary. You would need access on how the hardware works to programme the driver. I am not a programmer but I believe this is necessary in order to make the driver for it. I apologize if I am wrong. The only solution for you and all of us to use wireless network on a macbook pro is either to buy an external wireless or use mac os x (I almost cried now ...).

But I do hope it can be worked.

The reason why I want to run fedora on macbook pro is that I want to see if running mac os x leopard up on it, making use of eight core power muscle clustering, would actually be faster than natively. Comparing with a mac pro (new model).

Insane? Say yes, you only make me want to try.

See you.

Last edited by DarkButterfly; 28th January 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 29th January 2008, 01:46 AM
ppesci Offline

No Dark, you are wrong. I am postin this using my MBP and my wireless. If you want to use your wi-fi, you have 2 options.

Option 1 is to use madwifi package. That solution desn't work on me because I try some time ago and madwifi doesn't suppor at that time my chipset.

Option 2 is to use ndiswrapper package located in the livna repository. That is what I am using, and work fine.
The trick with ndiswrapper is to use the windows driver and wrap it to be used in linux.

Likely if you have a MPB, then you have an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418. You can check it with the command:

/sbin/lspci

and find the line describing the Network Controller. In that case, in this forum are the proper instruction on how to get wifi working. See: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ghlight=ar5418

For a complete instructions.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 29th January 2008, 10:09 AM
DarkButterfly Offline

I am glad to know I was wrong. For two reasons. First it means I do can use wireless on the macbook pro using fedora 8 and second but not least important that I always have something learn. Thanks for sharing the info. I appreciate that. That was one of the things I wasn't so sure that would work. But its great knowing it does. Now I only have one thing to test: will Fedora 8 run 100% without mac os x in the macbook pro?

I hope to give some news soon and tell you about it.

Once again thanks for your help on the wireless.
Cheers.
Old 29th January 2008, 10:19 AM
BlueC Offline

because the macbook uses EFI instead of a BIOS I am unsure of how you would make fedora boot without os x also installed. i.e. I have to use rEFIt installed in the OS X partition to give me the option to boot fedora at boot time. i guess bootcamp works the same way. others may know differently, but i don't recall ever seeing anyone installing ONLY linux on a macbook.
Old 1st February 2008, 11:40 PM
ppesci Offline

Me neither, but have good look and tell us.

PowerBook 15" G4 and
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 4th February 2008, 12:48 AM
moosetooth Offline

Fedora 8 is the only OS on my Macbook.

The trick (if you plan not to use OSX at all) is to change to a DOS partition table. (This can be done with a live cd using fdisk). That way the Macbook firmware will see the DOS partition table at boot and automatically emulate BIOS with no other modification necessary. None of that boot camp or rEFIt nonsense is needed. This has the added benefit of getting around the partition number limit of EFI.

What I've read (at least I don't think I'm making this up) is that you can install OSX on a drive with an EFI partition table, then mount that drive from a livecd, copy the entire contents of the OSX drive partition to a temporary location, reformat the drive with a dos partition table, create an HFS partition for your OSX install, install linux in the the remaining space, copy the OSX installation to the HFS partition, then use grub to boot both linux and OSX.

BTW: I use madwifi with my atheros wireless, though the current NetworkManager doesn't work with it. If you want to use NetworkManager in it's current form, you should probably use ndiswrapper.

I have the core duo (32bit) macbook 1.83 Ghz, with Intel graphics. All the hardware including the isight webcam works (you need a patched version of the uvcvideo driver as well as the firmware though).
Old 4th February 2008, 02:50 AM
ppesci Offline

I got iSight working but the uvcvideo was in alfa at best. That was about 1 year ago. Can you post some useful URL to se if that thing has improved?.

Thanks.

PowerBook 15" G4 and
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 4th February 2008, 01:32 PM
moosetooth Offline

Well it appears things have been updated even further regarding uvcvideo and isight. A patch is no longer even required. See here:

http://bersace03.free.fr/ift/
(scroll down to the howto)
Old 4th February 2008, 03:54 PM
DarkButterfly Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetooth
Fedora 8 is the only OS on my Macbook.

The trick (if you plan not to use OSX at all) is to change to a DOS partition table. (This can be done with a live cd using fdisk). That way the Macbook firmware will see the DOS partition table at boot and automatically emulate BIOS with no other modification necessary. None of that boot camp or rEFIt nonsense is needed. This has the added benefit of getting around the partition number limit of EFI.

What I've read (at least I don't think I'm making this up) is that you can install OSX on a drive with an EFI partition table, then mount that drive from a livecd, copy the entire contents of the OSX drive partition to a temporary location, reformat the drive with a dos partition table, create an HFS partition for your OSX install, install linux in the the remaining space, copy the OSX installation to the HFS partition, then use grub to boot both linux and OSX.

BTW: I use madwifi with my atheros wireless, though the current NetworkManager doesn't work with it. If you want to use NetworkManager in it's current form, you should probably use ndiswrapper.

I have the core duo (32bit) macbook 1.83 Ghz, with Intel graphics. All the hardware including the isight webcam works (you need a patched version of the uvcvideo driver as well as the firmware though).
Thank you for the help.
Yes it seems it is possible to run fedora or other linux variant on a mac pro and macbook pro as the only OS.

Just one question. It's just too bad that Toshiba will not make a laptop with the cell processor these days. I believe, if rumors are true, it will come out maybe in July or August. That would make a neat system don't you agree? Or am I just wondering away? heh
Anyway macbook pro is a great notebook and Linux is more than welcome on that piece of hadware!

I hope to give some news soon on how it went in here. Let's hope it won't blow up lol. Just kidding. The only thing that can happen is that I just might happen to freak out if won't work on second try. I never give things a third chance. Ask to wall of of room and the screen I had

All the best!

Tags
fedora, macbookpro