Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th January 2008, 04:58 PM
RastaCalavera Offline

Open Office Install from disk

My dad made me a data disk that had the install version of open office for linux but I can't get it to install....I am new to this (kind of) and it is very frustrating. I've tried using kget and some other programs to make it run and opened it up in konqueror to see the files but nothing will install it. I am not connected to the internet with my fedora tower so I can't use yum or add remove software for whatever reason.....help me out please!!! I can add screen shots later if anyone needs to see whats up and file extensions and what not. I am running the !686 kernel on my old computer. What are the correct file extensions for linux? I know all the old windows ones and I am very good in dos but terminal is pretty different, no cd c: or .exe files here, whats the deal?
Old 31st January 2008, 04:23 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello RastaCalavera

Easiest thing is to copy the file off the CD you have into a directory on your hard disk.

With the CD inserted, you should have an icon for it on the desktop. Clicking on the icon should open a file manager. If the file is the usual one then it will be called something like:

OOo_2.3.1_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz

the tar.gz suffix is a linux form of compression like zip, which linux also uses. Not all files in Linux have or need suffixes.

You should be able to "right click - copy" the file.

I make a directory in my home area called boxroom for this sort of thing but you will find that you have a directory in Fedora which is called "Download". Let's use that for now. Open up a file manager on your "Home" area. you will have an icon on the panel for it, open up the Downloads area and "right click - paste". So far so Windows like.

What is not Windows like in all that follows is that all commands and file names in Linux are case sensitive. Type a small letter instead of a capital in all that follows at your peril.

Right click on the file and select "Extract" and "Extract Here" and you will have a directory with subdirectories. Mine is called:

OOG680_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9238

Look inside it in the RPMS directory and you will see a lot of files with the rpm suffix. "rpm" is red hat package manager and is one way of managing installable files in Linux.

In KDE go to the Main Menu - System and select "Terminal".

It will start with just your privileges as a limited user and you will need Root rights for what follows.

In the terminal type:

Code:
su -
that's a space and a minus sign after the su, on tapping enter you will be asked for your root password. That will give you root privileges.

You need to change into the RPMS directory.

Code:
cd /home/bbfuller/Download/OOG680_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9238/RPMS
would do it for me, you will have to substitute where necessary. If you want to see that you are in the right directory, your prompt should have changed, but if you want to see what is in a directory the equivalent of the DOS dir command is:

Code:
ls
short for list.

Then issue the command:

Code:
rpm -Uvih *rpm
rpm by itself is the command to install rpm's. -Uvih are modifying switches. *rpm is like Windows, shorthand for all rpm's in that directory.

Incidentally, if you type:

Code:
man rpm
at a command prompt you will get the manual for rpm. There you can find out what the Uvih switches mean.

Code:
man ls
will similarly do it for the ls command.

Those rpm's should have installed. Now:

Code:
cd desktop-integration
and

Code:
rpm -ivh openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.3-9238.noarch.rpm
should put you entries in the menu system.

It's much easier and safer to install things like this over the internet from Fedora's own repositories. At the least, the integration with the menu system here is based on Redhat and not Fedora. Although they are similar distributions they are not identical. If you were able to install from the Fedora repositories you would be assured, not just fairly sure, that the menu entries would turn up in the right place.

Linux is pretty much an operating system of the internet. Best start negotiating with your Dad over internet access! Though don't tell him I said so.

Last edited by bbfuller; 31st January 2008 at 04:35 PM.

Tags
disk, install, office, open