Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th January 2008, 08:11 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

Recommend me a music player and a video player?

Hello. I am a Linux newbie, having recently installed Linux, and now I am looking for good programs to fill the shoes of the various programs I used to used in Windows.

Among other things, I need a good music player and a good video player. It can be a single program that does both, or two different ones, I don't mind. I do, however, have some requirements.

1. Both players must have the "skip N seconds back/forward" feature. (In Windows, WinAmp and GOM player have this, but most other players, AFAIK, do not.) Bonus points if you can customize the interval N.

2. Both players must have the option to set up global hotkeys, so you can pause, play and skip from anywhere without having to find the program window.

3. The music player must have the option to minimize to the system tray or equivalent (and still play, of course).

Can anyone recommend me some players that fit the above requirements?

Thanks in advance.
- Spectrum
Old 30th January 2008, 11:03 PM
Bslagowski Offline

For music player I'd say consider using MPD and GMPC as a front end.

1. This feature MAY take a bit more work. I know you can "seek" ahead a certain amount of seconds via mpc and the command line. I'm surprised this feature isn't already in GMPC (perhaps it is and I'm just not aware!). I'll get back to you on this.

2. In GMPC go to Music->Preferences->Multimedia Keys. Works great.

3. Simple again. Go to Music->Preferences->Interface and check the "Hide on Close" box. It will show up in the system tray. You can pause, play, go forward/back by right-clicking on the icon. You can check this out too, it may do more - not sure. http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Client:Mpd-applet

Code:
su -
yum install mpd mpc gmpc
Once installed check this for configuring:
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration

If you need more help, post back. I can't offer much on video players. I know for a fact totem has "go" feature that you can customize the amount. Not sure about hotkeys though .. I'd imagine it would.

Code:
su -
yum install totem
Old 31st January 2008, 02:53 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

Thanks for the reply. I tried GMPC, but I couldn't get it to work. It kept giving me "cannot connect" errors, and I was unable to find documentation explaining why it had to "connect" to anything in the first place.

But I found Amarok and so far am liking it. I think I'm going to stick with that, unless I find something better.

Thanks anyway.
Old 31st January 2008, 02:59 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectrumDT
Thanks for the reply. I tried GMPC, but I couldn't get it to work. It kept giving me "cannot connect" errors, and I was unable to find documentation explaining why it had to "connect" to anything in the first place.

But I found Amarok and so far am liking it. I think I'm going to stick with that, unless I find something better.

Thanks anyway.
For video try Xine

Code:
su
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
yum erase totem totem-mozplugin
yum install totem-xine totem-xine-mozplugin xine-lib-extras-nonfree xine-lib-extras xine libdvdcss
Old 31st January 2008, 04:34 PM
Bslagowski Offline

Is the "cannot connect" error appearing in GMPC? If so that's because you didnt install (and configure) MPD properly. MPD is a client/server setup. You can create a central server which other clients (computers) in your home can connect to, and all play the same music off of there. Or you can use it one just one computer, like I do. But if Amarok works for you that's cool. It seems to be many users music player of choice.

If you decide you don't like Amarok and you don't want to fiddle with MPD consider checking out Audacious. It's a fork of a project whose goal was to essentially create a compy of Winamp. It might have all the features you wanted, and in addition it will have a familiar look.
Old 31st January 2008, 05:39 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslagowski
Is the "cannot connect" error appearing in GMPC? If so that's because you didnt install (and configure) MPD properly. MPD is a client/server setup. You can create a central server which other clients (computers) in your home can connect to, and all play the same music off of there. Or you can use it one just one computer, like I do. But if Amarok works for you that's cool. It seems to be many users music player of choice.

If you decide you don't like Amarok and you don't want to fiddle with MPD consider checking out Audacious. It's a fork of a project whose goal was to essentially create a compy of Winamp. It might have all the features you wanted, and in addition it will have a familiar look.
Other players similar to Amarok include (these may not be what you're looking for, but take a look): Exaile, Banshee, Rhythmbox, gtkpod.

I'm really liking the concept of XMMS2 which uses the client/server model for a music player, but you'd probably have to look around for a frontend with the features you're looking for (I think XMMS2 - the server or backend - supports those features you're looking for).

Unfortunately, I don't think either XMMS2 or its frontends are in the repositories so you'll have to install from source code.
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Main_Page

As for video players, can't be of much help there. I swear by VLC (it's in the Livna repository) but I don't know if it has the features you're seeking. I don't watch a lot of video.

If you haven't so far, install yumex (yum install yumex) - it lets you sort all the programs available in repositories into categories for convenient browsing, and shows package descriptions in the same GUI. Nice for browsing around.

Last edited by forkbomb; 31st January 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 31st January 2008, 06:47 PM
PsychoTrauma Offline

I use audacious for audio and mplayer for video.

Audacious in my opinion in the best lean audio player around since it has support for more audio formats and is actively developed using latest versions of software.

Mplayer is hard to beat when it comes to videos since anything the internal decoders won't play there is win32 codecs for.
Old 1st February 2008, 12:11 AM
imfromwales Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
For video try Xine

Code:
su
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
yum erase totem totem-mozplugin
yum install totem-xine totem-xine-mozplugin xine-lib-extras-nonfree xine-lib-extras xine libdvdcss
I could not play .avi in firefox before, i ran this code and it now plays .avi. Thanks a lot

After installing a 40gbps network, they said:
"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC,"
- http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:51 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
For video try Xine
Thanks. Does Xine support the features I asked for above? (I can't immediately find them in the menus.)
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:29 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Thanks. Does Xine support the features I asked for above? (I can't immediately find them in the menus.)
I think so ( if you look in the xine menu they are listed , see screen shot )

If xine doesn't fit the bill try mplayer with the smplayer front-end

Code:
su
yum install mplayer

Then get smplayer from the link below

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=172405
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	14950  

Last edited by leigh123linux; 3rd February 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:25 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think Xine is the best I've found so far.
Old 4th February 2008, 04:06 AM
Firewing1 Offline

I like totem xine, features of xine through a nice UI. You'll need Livna to install it though. VLC is pretty nice, too. For audio I prefer rhythmbox or exaile.
Firewing1
Old 4th February 2008, 07:25 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1
I like totem xine, features of xine through a nice UI. You'll need Livna to install it though. VLC is pretty nice, too. For audio I prefer rhythmbox or exaile.
Firewing1
Does it have the skipping feature that I need (as described above)?
Old 4th February 2008, 07:33 PM
Bslagowski Offline

Xine is just the backend. Totem should have all the features. Here's a bunch of frontends.

http://xinehq.de/index.php/releases
Old 4th February 2008, 09:43 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Does it have the skipping feature that I need (as described above)?
It has skip to, but not skip n seconds.
Firewing1

Tags
music, player, recommend, video