Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:04 AM
escapeflowne Offline

nvidia driver creates a separate kernel layer (i don't know much about it ) so it needs rebuild every time a kernel update takes place. usually livna builds their package even when a fedora kernel is not on update mirror they are fast in what they do since you have installed a custom kernel you will need to manually install the driver. since livna's are integrated with stock kernel you are getting a message module nvidia not found.

here are the ways you can fix the problem.

1> su -c 'yum remove kmod-nvidia'
2>download your driver here be sure to choose the driver that matches your architecture. you should do 'uname -a' and see what is your arch.
3>follow the readme on that page to install your driver.

Disclaimer:nvidia-installer replaces some stock fedora system files with its own version.so may face some problem .

p.s i am surprised your sound problem is still not solved by stock fedora kernel. if you are afraid of DIY, you should try another distro which has your problem fixed.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:45 PM
nkd Offline

problem with sound on acer 4720

hi ,
I just bought a acer 4720 and installed fedora 8 on it.
I tried out all the suggestions in this post - after I bumped on it , today.
Seems like I just missed the train... any way if any of you could help me out.....!
I can't ge tthe sound card working.
Initially I could see the pcm device as ALC262 analog , when I used system-config-soundcard, but suddenly that too stopped and the volume control applet has also died saying there are no pcm devices that it can control.
Okay the alsamixer -D hw:0 command says :
fnction snd_ctl_open failed for hw:0 : No such device.

what to do ?
Well I tried out vi /etc/modprob.conf and changed
options snd=card-0 index=acer
options snd-hda-intel index=acer

also the ls -l /dev/snd reports only two files
seq
tuner
both have read write permissions for me (root)

lastly lsmod reveals for snd the following entries.

module used by

soundcore snd
snd snd_seq_oss, snd_seq, snd_seq_device, snd_pcm_oss,
snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm, snd_timer, snd_hwdep
snd_timer snd_seq, snd_pcm
snd_hwde 0
snd_page_alloc snd_pcm

Please help me out...
thanks
ni****h
Old 13th March 2008, 08:53 PM
escapeflowne Offline

what is the output of alsamixer and aplay -l ?
Old 14th March 2008, 08:36 AM
nkd Offline

hi escapeflowne,
Thanks for giving me some hope...
alsamixer says :-
Card : Pulse Audio
Chip : Pulse Audio
View : [Playback] Capture All

aplay -l output :
**** list of playback Hardware Device *****

Card 0 : Intel [HDA Intel], device 0 : ALC268 Analog [ ALC268 Analog]
Subdevices : 1/1
Subdevice # 0 : subdevice # 0

Card 0 : Intel [HDA Intel], device 1 : ALC268 Digital [ ALC268 Digital]

Card 0 : Intel [HDA Intel], device 6 : Si 3054 Modem [ Si 3054 Modem]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
nisith
Old 14th March 2008, 09:49 AM
escapeflowne Offline

so fedora can see your sound hardware ! so what happens when you run system-config-soundcard ? do you get any sound ?
Old 14th March 2008, 10:35 AM
nkd Offline

nope...! It just says something like opening pipeline and no further .... Seems like fedora thinks
it is playing alright but I donot get to hear anything.....
strange situation !
nisith
Old 19th March 2008, 01:22 AM
xvan911 Offline

Hi there guys,

I updated the kernel from 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 to 2.6.24.3-34.fc8, and well the webcam is now working, but there is no sound out of the speakers, I can say that the problem is the kernel because I still have the older one and the sound works fine

is there a way to fix this by manipulating the new kernel?
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:48 AM
walpurgiss Offline

I'm having a similar problem myself. Last week I installed Fedora8 on a 10GB IDE drive on a P5b Deluxe C2 Duo 6400 with 2GB ddr2-800 and a radeon x1900xt. Everything went well, sound worked with the onboard ich8 HD family audio chipset (did not work with the XFI that's in there too though, obviously)

Sound worked, video card worked good.

Now, a week later I got around to actually installing it onto one of the SATA drives that belong in the system. (The ide drive was just a kinda test run on a loose HD we had around the house)

Now there's no sound. system-config-soundcard lists two tabs, one for intel, one for creative, but neither of them have anything in the little PCM dropdown boxes. Trying to reset/reload the audio drivers pops an error saying that it can't load kernel module None. You have to reboot your box for changes to take effect.

I find it funny that it worked perfect not 10 days ago and now seems to not be happy with me. snd-hda-intel is loaded, modprobe.conf looks like the ones posted here, other than not being acer. alsa-ctl throws warnings of no sound cards detected on shutdown/reboots, alsamixer says no sound boards, artsd on logon says there is no /dev/dsp, etc.

I think I'm going to try reinstalling. The only thing different from the last install other than the IDE hard drive is the onboard sound card was disabled when I installed, and I forgot that the XFI will never have drivers for linux because creative is dogsh!t. Rebooted after install and enabled it in bios, and it got picked right up and everything was good.
Old 23rd March 2008, 06:41 AM
walpurgiss Offline

Ok, reinstalled werewolf with the ich8 onboard HD Intel audio disabled.
After install, rebooted and enabled it, and upon reboot, it was detected properly and worked.
Then I did the ~250 package updates, and after coming up from reboot, same problem as before.

So it seems a new package/kernel is what is hosing my audio. :/

In the sound card config, it shows both the intel audio card and the creative XFI, but neither of them show any PCM devices in the drop down list. (Before only the SB XFI had nothing there, the intel had an analog device and a digital device, both of which worked on first boot.)

I don't think the alsa version changed in the updates, but definetly was a hal update, kernel, dbus, i think a artsd too. From log, pulseaudio-libs pulseaudio-utils, pulseaudio-core-libs pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-x11, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio kde-settings-pulseaudio.

/sigh

Dunno my other system has a different snd-hda-intel chip that still works. i'm gonna try digging through the configs there and see if some config file just got hosed or something. Cuz system-config-soundcard still shows the card, just has n PCM devices defined for it apparently
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:15 AM
escapeflowne Offline

have you filed a bug at bugzilla ?
Old 25th March 2008, 01:52 AM
walpurgiss Offline

Not yet, havn't had the chance to sit down and compare the two systems confs. I'd like to do that before I file it so I have more complete information but work is superceding play atm.
Old 4th April 2008, 02:22 PM
MrFreddy Offline

Hi all,

i had the same problem with no sound. I finally got to work last night. I running F8 64bit on Asus M51SN. The card is detected as 82801H (ICH8 Family) ALC861VD. I put model=lenovo in modprobe.conf. I have come across these sites while searching for the answer if that helps anyone.

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Soundkarten_installieren/HDA
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ght=asus+sound

Good luck.
Frank
Old 4th April 2008, 08:54 PM
escapeflowne Offline

i just did a fresh reinstall of f8 , downloaded alsa-driver, alsa-lib,alsa-utils latest version 1.0.16- from www.alsa-project.org and compiled from source, installed successfully and then executed the alsaconf command and rebooted. And with a pleasant surprise i had volume on startup so no more tweaking with modprobe.conf and no model-<manufacturer> option. maybe those who are having similar trouble can try this. i guess this will be gone when f9 will be out since it should contain the latest alsa.

p.s my f8 was fully updated and this was compiled with the latest kernel 2.6.24-4.64.fc8.
Old 9th April 2008, 02:09 PM
MrFreddy Offline

I have installed latest kernel and still no sound. Mind you i haven't reinstall Alsa. Still stucked with model= in modprobe.conf. I downloaded F9 Beta Live and no sound either, but i didn't have chance to check alsa version. I will wait for the F9 final release and then test it.

Frank
Old 9th April 2008, 08:44 PM
escapeflowne Offline

why don't just compile alsa from source and see the difference ?

Tags
audio, controller, family, ich8, intel, sound