Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th February 2008, 11:00 PM
jackbrennan7757 Offline

Angry Enemy territory Quake wars wont start ?....

hi there,

I have installed enemy quakewars onto my linux fedora core 8 KDe edition pc. I have downloaded the 1.4 full client (450mb) after installation i have tried gto run etqw.x86 to launch the program but all it does it change my screen resolution and i am unable to start.

i have installed the latest nvidia drivers for my pc, but etqw wont start on linus core 8 kde

any help most appreciated!

Cheers

jack Brennan
Old 9th February 2008, 12:30 AM
notageek Offline

How are you trying to run the game? Are you selecting it from the menu using the GUI or are you launching it from the command line?

Usually games and other software launched from the command line (terminal) give out verbose messages, for troubleshooting the issue, its always helpful to look at the verbose messages.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:37 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Moved to Gamers Lounge
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 9th February 2008, 06:58 AM
Thetargos Online

In all id games tradition, the game will require to change some system paths, especially for some libraries (most particularly C++ libs) to its own directories. For that it uses a script to wrap around the binary so that the game can actually launch. Usually this script is linked to your PATH (a directory which holds binaries or launchers for your programs, which you call as commands), usually for these kinds of games, typing in the console something like "doom3" or "quake4" or "etqw" (all without the quotes, of course) is enough to launch the game. Now it may also depend on how did you actually applied the patch. I'm not familiar with the patching of ETQW, as I still don't have it, but if it follows id tradition, it'd most likely be a .run file, or compressed archive with a script to install it, which should have taken care of the launcher for your convenience. Check if you have a file "etqw" in a directory such as /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, or even a bin directory under your home directory.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 11th February 2008, 08:31 PM
KingLz Offline

Same problem here, but I found the solution.

The main issue is about pulseaudio and an alsa bug.
First if you want to play, you have to suspend puseaudio.... means no audio from applications that uses it.

Second you have to deinstall the alsa-pulseaudio package. It doesnt work very good anyway, but without that rpm alsa applications wont be able to play audio with pulseaudio. T_T

When you have deinstalled alsa-pulseaudio you have to start etqw with "pasuspender etqw". This will suspend PA and etqw will start.

There is another way with hacking etqw mentioned on the pulseaudio page, but i would not recommend that, because punkbuster will detect an hack, which supposes to be a problem, even if you wont get banned yet.
Old 12th February 2008, 04:09 PM
jackbrennan7757 Offline

ah damn ill have to spend some time setting it up, thank you guys. im looking foward to get it working!!
Old 15th February 2008, 10:02 PM
Kid744 Offline

Sorry I missed this thread when you first posted.... I had already dealt with the alsa pulse audio plugin issue. The new threaded renderer version is nice if you have a multicore cpu as well. (currently don't use it though since my upgrade made it unnecessary)

Kid

Tags
enemy, quake, start, territory, wars