Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2008, 02:47 PM
Slyke Offline

Sharing Removable Storage

Hey, i've just installed Fedora Core 6, with Samba.

I've figured out how to share folders by going to System, Server Settings and Samba, but i can't figure out how to share removable storage.

I have 3 External Harddrives that are connected to my computer via USB, all formatted with NTFS. I can read and write to them fine, but i don't know how to share them so that my Windows computer can read and write to and from them.
Old 4th March 2008, 03:41 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

I have an external USB hard disk (NTFS) connected to a Fedora 8 box. It's shared and all computers on the network have r/w access. I'm no Samba guru but here's what I did. It's automatically detected by the system. There's a desktop icon for it, placed there by the system. First I typed mount so I could find out where / how the drive is mounted. In my case it's mounted as /media/FreeaAent so I simply created a share for it in /etc/samba/smb.conf, like so:
Code:
[backup]
Comment = FreeAgent Drive
path = /media/FreeAgent
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
public = yes
Then I ran testparm to make sure samba was happy with my work and restarted smb and nmb, sudo /sbin/service smb restart and sudo /sbin/service nmb restart. I should mention that samba security is set to share. Now, on the days that samba decides to work properly (crapshoot) I can access that drive from any computer on the network.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th March 2008, 04:16 PM
Slyke Offline

Okay, i did that, i checked with testparm, and it said that everything was fine.

sudo /sbin/service smb restart
and
sudo /sbin/service nmb restart

Both said "Command not found", tried without the sudo and as root too.

When i tried opening up samba again it just said down the bottom "Starting Samba" and then asked for my password. After which Samba vanished. Every time i tried to check it after that it wouldn't ask for my password, it would just say "starting Samba" then vanish after about 10 seconds.

So i went into services and started the Samba service (along with the nmb service) and check if i could open Samba then. I still couldn't, didn't even ask for a password.

Finally i tried connecting with my Windows computer though the static IP address i have set for the fedora computer, and it worked. Don't ask me how.

Well when i say it worked, it took ages for a password prompt to come up, and no matter what i put into it, it wouldn't authenticate.

Last edited by Slyke; 4th March 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 4th March 2008, 04:58 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Try rpm -q samba. Post the output.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th March 2008, 05:01 PM
Slyke Offline

Did it, the output is:
samba-3.0.23c-2
Old 4th March 2008, 05:11 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

How about rpm -q samba-client samba-common ?? Those are both installed here also.

Edit: Are you looking for a samba gui? If so, then install samba-swat, yum install samba-swat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	90
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	15300  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by glennzo; 4th March 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 5th March 2008, 01:56 AM
Slyke Offline

Here's what i did:

[root@localhost ~]# yum install samba-swat
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q samba-client samba-common
samba-client-3.0.23c-2
samba-common-3.0.23c-2

Tried navigating to http://localhost:901/, but get unable to connect.

Samba still won't open =(. Even after a restart.

SMB & NMB are in my services list.
Fedora is updating (Downloading packages), wonder if it'll be fixed after this.

Last edited by Slyke; 5th March 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:23 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Start the xinetd service, service xinetd start, then turn swat on with chkconfig swat on. In your web browser location bar type http://localhost:901/. This will open the Samba SWAT main page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 5th March 2008, 12:28 PM
Slyke Offline

Hmmm... i take it this is not good?

[root@localhost ~]# service xinetd start
xinetd: unrecognized service
[root@localhost ~]# chkconfig swat on
error reading information on service swat: No such file or directory

I'm about 2 hours from getting Fedora 8... i'm just going to format and install that. Though, good lessons learned here. Though if you get this fixed, it will help in the future.

Tags
removable, sharing, storage