Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th March 2008, 04:27 AM
jkcpavan Offline

Exclamation parallel matrix inversion

Hai every body

i want to parallalise the computation of matrix inversion. can you suggest which is the best technique when we think in parallel. if you are having any pseudo code please explain me.
Old 7th March 2008, 08:43 AM
bmvbab Offline

just give a look in freshmeat.net under
scientific/engineering->mathematics
Old 7th March 2008, 08:51 AM
jkcpavan Offline

thnk you for your suggestion boss

but it is not having any information about inversion ..... the site contains the basic matrix operations but i want to to the matrix inversion that too parallely
Old 7th March 2008, 11:17 AM
bmvbab Offline

well then how about this:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=321434
Old 7th March 2008, 11:48 AM
jkcpavan Offline

sorry to say this boss....

actually i am having account in acm portal but iam not an authorised to user to view the document you hav sent. thank you for helping me.

if possible can you send me the document you have shown.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:41 PM
Lascolb Offline

You cant view the PDF file,
Or is thr another file your talking about?

In any case you shouldn't need to be a authorised user to view the document.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:36 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

I think, in general you don't need code to do matrix inversion very often. We need matrix inversion to solve linear systems, and writing an algorithm for solving, for example, y = Ax, is way much more efficient than first finding A^(-1) then calculate A^(-1)y, because we waste many computrons doing the boring multiplication in the latter step which can often be merged into the solving step. Most of the time we do this by decomposing the matrix into certain factors, e.g. lower and upper triangular, SVD, etc ... and solve the equation stage by stage, (approximately) eliminating one factor after one. At least, that's common for sequential computation.

I don't know what things will look like in the fields of parallel computation. I guess there is no unified answer either coz there are too many types of matrices...

There are quite a lot of books on the topic... If you do a search on the web you get pretty many hints. As for the ACM paper, are you having an account for your library or yourself? I have a library access and there's no problem downloading... I don't even have to login.

Last edited by aleph; 19th March 2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 19th March 2008, 05:33 PM
Magnar Offline

One of my teachers, who is good at computational science, said that Jacobi's method for diagonalisation has become more popular lately because it is pretty easy to parallellize.
Old 25th March 2008, 05:24 AM
jkcpavan Offline

hello every body

Mr. aleph is saying that solving the linear equation is better method. but i think it may not be that much better. i think jacobi mettod is better. but the main problem i am getting is that wheather the equation i am entering to fid the solution/inverse would lead to result. i.e the solution exists or not. for that please suggest me....
Old 27th March 2008, 09:48 PM
Magnar Offline

Can't you just calculate the determinant, to see if the matrix is invertible (if solutions exist)?
Old 28th March 2008, 04:32 PM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar
Can't you just calculate the determinant, to see if the matrix is invertible (if solutions exist)?
This is way too expensive ...

Generally, you can only estimate whether the solution exists. Finding an approximation of the condition number may be a good start.
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:33 PM
jkcpavan Offline

hi to alla caliculating determinent is the most difficult part if that is done we can directly use that technique but our aim is use some simple technique... what is ment by approximation and how to caliculate that one please explain me
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:32 PM
MarkS Offline

jkcpavan, it may be difficult get an answer your question here as it is not related to fedora or even linux. Why not try an mpi, or openmp, or hpf forum? Lots of math, numerical methods people hang out there.
You also need to be a bit more specific;
- How big is that matrix anyway? Todays cpus are fast, communication between them, not so fast.
- What assumptions can you make about the matrix?
- If you don't know if a solution exists that may be weird (or not) depending on your area of study.
- Can you decompose the matrix in any useful way?
- Why is calculating the determinant difficult? Slow maybe, but difficult?
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:50 AM
jkcpavan Offline

no it is not difficult to answer this question it is all about the programming not about the parlalization ofcourse parlalization is a good one it is a different thing but what i am requesting is the corectness, scalability and usability of code.

here i am having a link where the matrix inversion is explained clearly.. but i am not getting right can any body read and explain the algorithem

http://oddprogrammers.blogspot.com/

please reply me regauring this code on the site so that ill try to understand
Old 5th April 2008, 10:23 AM
pal_thomas2009 Offline

Mr jkcpavan is saying that he had found of matrix inversion in gaussmethod then what will be your problem, if you solve the equations if the solutions does not exist also it will give you the result it is the power of the gauss jordon method i think. so, no need to worry about that and also i am trying to parlalizing the matrix inversion using the same method after visiting your suggested site www.oddprogrammers.blogspot.com it is good to see such explanation but the main problem in that algorith i found it is using two nore temporaryn arrays. it is good to look at memory complexity also. so explain me any body if they had done any work regaurding this

Tags
inversion, matrix, parallel