Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 10th March 2008, 07:47 PM
suneesh Offline

Kickstart installation how to? how to create a kickstart file?

Hello Everybody,
I want to create a kickstart file? I have created one but i dont know to install from the file? please help.
Suneesh
Old 10th March 2008, 11:05 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

You have to put the kickstart file somewhere where the installation can see it. For instance, at work we use NFS. So, I put it in an NFS directory.
Then, when booting the install CD at the prompt I type

linux ks=nfs:10.0.69.69:/tmp/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth1 ip=dhcp

Or something similar. In other words
ks is for kickstart
I'm using NFS so I indicate that, as well as the location of the file

I'm using eth1 on the machine that I'm booting--that is, the one on which I'm going to install, so that's the eth1 part. If I were giving it an address, it might be something a bit different like

ip=10.0.69.70 netmask=255.255.0.0 gateway=10.0.0.1 dns=10.0.100.243 text

So, that's one less advanced way to start it. The other way to start it, which is more advanced and bit more complicated, is to boot the computer from the network and have a tftp server holding the file. I haven't done that in a long time, so I don't want to give you wrong advice. Just google, or search the forums for something like kickstart pxe and you should find information on doing it that way.
Old 17th March 2008, 01:23 PM
suneesh Offline

Hello Scottro,
I also created a NFS for the installation. Let me try the steps which you provided . Thanks for ur help

Tags
create, file, installation, kickstart